PDA

View Full Version : How long can I keep salt water in a sealed water bottle?

kitenski
17-11-06, 19:19
I'm looking to keep some "fresh" salt water, for topping up my zoo plankton mix.

Any ideas how long I could keep this in a sealed water bottle, with no movement etc?

Cheers,

Greg

kitenski
18-11-06, 11:32
anyone? Got some left over in a bucket at the moment, and can't decide what to do with it!

zimreef
18-11-06, 11:58
I used to make up a load of salt water for several water changes and kept it for months before using it and had no discernible adverse effects.

Don't think it would be a problem!

John

arrows
18-11-06, 12:06
do not know how long it will keep without air, it maybe an idea to keep it in a un-sealed container where the top is open and use a powerhead or someting similar to airate the water and keep it moving, not sure on sealed though, water would perhaps go stale?

teejay36uk
19-11-06, 00:04
leaving it open whilst aerating it will surely draw all the crap of the day in and pollute the water if keeping it for lengthy periods !!!!!

arrows
19-11-06, 00:15
leaving it open whilst aerating it will surely draw all the crap of the day in and pollute the water if keeping it for lengthy periods !!!!!

When i make a batch of ro water i add the salt then keep the whole thing heated and moving to keep it aerated, you can not aerate a sealed unit as it will just build up the gases, not sure what the time period is on this and i would also be interested to hear other peopls thoughts or experiences on this.

Dave_P
19-11-06, 08:14
We do this anyway with thise glass things with fish and corals in them :D

Seriously, you need to consider the container. If using plastic my main concern is what leaches out of the container in a period of time. This is an unknown factor. Just because it is food safe doesn't mean that nothing will leach. If I buy a container from supplier A it might be the same as from supplier B. No doubt someone in the plastic industry will correct me on this.

If being storied over a period of time, the safest bet IMO would be glass.

After saying all that I make up 2 months worth in a plastic food safe container storing without heating/aerating.

Dave

TheShark
19-11-06, 11:25
would this apply to freshly collected saltwater from the sea? as i collect my salt water straight out of the ocean!! so i wonder if i could keep that stored so i wouldnt have to go running to the beach each week to get water!!

teejay36uk
19-11-06, 11:50
yes dave i agree but the water in your tank is filtered and skimmed!!!! i'm not tryin to be a pain in the neck but i am considering doin this too save time on changes but i'd like to be 100% sure this is ok up to now i've been mixing and aerating the salt water about 24 hrs b4 a change and it would be easier to have the water pre mixed and ready to go... and yes in an ideal world having a large tank solely for water would be great but i just dont have the space for such luxury lol ...