Notices

Thread: Alkalinity and ULNS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My levels sit at KH8.1 CA500 MG1480 in my tank, they will take about a month to drop to KH7 CA480 MG1280, then I do Atwater change and I'm back to square 1.
    Obviously as I'm running Zeo, the latter numbers are better but my biggest concern is the swings I'm getting by doing a water change.
    I think a salt with minimal elements would be better so that I could ball my levels to keep them more stable, do you see this causing me problems and do you think it's ok to carry on like this until my corals start using more and I can start balling

Gazz
    Gazz

3 mitras led
    ATI 200i powercone
    Profilux 3EX and Touch
    Southampton reef club apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    Interesting advice Jamie.... I say interesting because it's diametrically opposed to the advice I've received regarding another sponsors product that (to a layman like me) does exactly the same thing as your product. I can see why you are suggesting it though....

The more answers I get just lead to more questions!!

Karl

Karl, welcome aboard! Opinions are free, therefore we get alot of 'em. Although I work for Vertex, I've kept marine aquariums since the '60s and have racked up some experience and opinions. And, you never get to the top of this learning curve. Something I love about this hobby/business.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by GazzMan View Post
    My levels sit at KH8.1 CA500 MG1480 in my tank, they will take about a month to drop to KH7 CA480 MG1280, then I do Atwater change and I'm back to square 1.
    Obviously as I'm running Zeo, the latter numbers are better but my biggest concern is the swings I'm getting by doing a water change.
    I think a salt with minimal elements would be better so that I could ball my levels to keep them more stable, do you see this causing me problems and do you think it's ok to carry on like this until my corals start using more and I can start balling

Gazz
    Gazz,

that's a hard one to call. Every tank is different and it sound like yours is still maturing. If you want to boost the calcium extraction, add a couple of fast growers, such as Montipora foliosa and M. digitata. Have you used the Zeovit salt? I used it for a while and it is NSW leveled.

You're right, swings are to be avoided, but I'm surprised they are so strong for you. I change 5% per week and didn't have a real problem with swings in alk with boosted salts. Maybe less water change, done more often is a temporary solution.

Please understand, as I work for Vertex, it would be unseemly for me to do any critique or recommendations on the various salts available. You will find more information on manufactures websites, often real analysis. I have noted many stores only carry one particular mix from a manufacture, while others may be available.

Jamie

Hi all

Just trying to learn a bit about ULNS/ZEO.

Do you get problems running high KH and ULNS because of having no NO3 and PO4 or because of the additives used to achieve this?

Your corals will suffer with KH burns, thats why you aim for levels as NSW. Kh should be around 7.5, Ca 420 & Mg 1280
    George
    850l Triton (started 29 April 2013- closed 7 July 2014)

Since upping my KH from 7.5 to 9 and holding it stable, my one and only SPS and m.digitata has started receding at the base.

I don't dose any ZEO or anything but I do have zero nitrate and PO4 just from natural filtration and Rowa etc

I wondered if this could be classed as a natural ULNS and my KH9 is hurting things

Quote Originally Posted by rvdbarnes View Post
    Since upping my KH from 7.5 to 9 and holding it stable, my one and only SPS and m.digitata has started receding at the base.

I don't dose any ZEO or anything but I do have zero nitrate and PO4 just from natural filtration and Rowa etc

I wondered if this could be classed as a natural ULNS and my KH9 is hurting things
    Quite possibly, I believe that is called RTN. Cannot be called natural if you are using Rowa!
    George
    850l Triton (started 29 April 2013- closed 7 July 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by joe dredd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdbarnes View Post

Quite possibly, I believe that is called RTN. Cannot be called natural if you are using Rowa!
    Lol, fair point!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123