Hi all, just putting together what might be a useful thread for someone. I wanted to upgrade the hood on the tank so after a lot of thought I came up with the idea of using acrylic. So here goes...
The plan is (half the Hood) First with LED layout.
Clear Acrylic sheet 1000mm x 1000mm x 5mm thick
DICHLORMETHANE (meths) for welding the pieces together. Potent stuff so be careful…….. or this http://www.maplin.co.uk/plastic-weld-46010 but I have not tried it.
Please read this it may help.
1. Measure the two ends (front to back) of the tank there is a lip just inside the inner edge of the tank that new lid can sit on, measure up to this. Or if you have the original hood draw around it to get the correct shape. I measured the width then used the first section of the lid (Bow section) as a stencil to get the shape of the bow.
2. Cut the edge pieces I cut them 70mm thick this will be the height that the hood will sit above the tank. 70mm (height) x 880mm Length of tank. Then cut the side pieces 70mm x 305mm.
3. Cut a piece for the front 70mm x 890mm(10mm longer than the back piece) to allow for the bend. I cut this to short (same as the back) 880mm, but decided I would have the hood in two separate hoods so just cut this to fit.
4. Cut out the hood profile . I used a jigsaw to cut the bow, with water to stop the plastic melting if you cut with the protective paper on, I don’t think it will melt then you should end up with these.
5. I then cut the hood in half to make access to the tank easier.
6. Then use the methylene chloride to weld the side and back pieces on to the hood use tape to hold them together at right angles. When using this stuff do it somewhere well ventilated. Also when applying just let it run into the joint leave it 10 minutes to set should be a solid weld.
7. like this one, half done; now I need to do the other half.
8. I bent the front piece by heating it up slightly over the hob on the oven. Then used the tape to hold its shape, and then welded.
9. Hood on the tank, now I just need to spray it black, add mirrored film and LEDs to the underside.