UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Fish, Inverts & Plants: > Marine / Reef fish

Marine / Reef fish For all questions about fish (except health), including Fish Only and FOWLR systems

Old 05-07-10, 07:50
Clownfish

Flatworm eaters!

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a fish that is guaranteed to eat flatworms - the rusty coloured ones with a red dot. Is there such a thing?

Thanks
Old 05-07-10, 07:58
Killer Whale

No, I don't think any fish is guaranteed to eat flatworms. There is a sea slug known as the Blue Velvet Nudibranch, Chelidonura varians, that is an obligatory flatworm eater and which is occasionally available.

John
Old 05-07-10, 08:10
Octopus

as abouve the Blue Velvet Nudibranch will do the job but once the flatworms are gone it will starve i had one last year and passed it on one the flatworms were all eaten, it did a very good job
Old 05-07-10, 12:31
Clownfish

Hey thanks guys,

Think it might be hard to get one of these, and then what to do with it once it has done its job....

So are there any fish that are more likely than not to eat flatworms - some sort of wrasse??

Thanks
Old 05-07-10, 12:37

Six lines are apparently supposed to eat flatworms, but I never had much look when I tried it
Old 08-07-10, 07:46
Clownfish

My dottyback is good at keeping the pink and grey worm population low

My 48" Seabray Tank Thread |||| My Red Sea Max 130D Journey |||| My Company - Frish Media
Old 08-07-10, 07:55
Moray Eel

Any reason why you wish to use a fish to do this? I found my flatworm cure in the form of half dose of oodinex! I simply siphoned out what I could, done a half dose of oodinex and then a 30% water change, bingo gone! there's also flatworm exit stuff but I have no experience of this.
Old 08-07-10, 08:00
Clownfish

Trying to avoid dosing the tank with anything. You hear good and bad stories about flat worm exit and I think they have stopped making it now? (not sure on that).

Didnt know that oodinex had that effect, but if it kills the flatworms surley it will be killing other stuff in the system?

Prefer to go the natural predator route if there such a thing!
Old 09-07-10, 14:55
Triggerfish

How big is your tank? I've been told an eight-line wrasse is great at keeping flatworms at bay, but it is a much larger fish than it's smaller six-line cousin.
The slug will do the job, could you not ask your LFS to see if they could order one in for you?
HTH
Martin
Old 09-07-10, 15:18
Global Moderator
+ Help Team Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks14 View Post
Trying to avoid dosing the tank with anything. You hear good and bad stories about flat worm exit and I think they have stopped making it now? (not sure on that).

Didnt know that oodinex had that effect, but if it kills the flatworms surley it will be killing other stuff in the system?

Prefer to go the natural predator route if there such a thing!
I had a good result with Flatworm Exit and it is still on sale as far as I'm aware.

Before trying it I had a lot of advice about wait until it burns itself out or keep siphoning and you will get on top of it eventually, but perhaps mine were mutant ninja flatworms and they showed no such co-operation after months of siphoning.

The medication itself is formulated to be lethal only to flatworms, and this was my experience. However, when flatworms die they excrete toxins and it is this which can harm other organisms, especially fish. So you need to follow the instructions on the tin to reduce the fw population first so there are fewer in there when they start to die, thus limiting the level of toxins in the water, run carbon and do a partial water change after the med has done its work.

I did not find it difficult to follow these instructions and as a result my tank has been free of these pests for many months now. It did, however, take more than one application of the product to work successfully, probably due to eggs present in the rockwork hatching out later on, or perhaps the presence of some adult flatworm which were more resistant than others to the med.

Some people report success with natural predators but others point out that you have to virtually starve the predator fish of any other foods before it will resort to eating the flatworms. Difficult if you have other fish present, and some would say not very kind anyway.

The psychedelic mandarin synchiropus picturatus is said to actually seek out and eat brown flatworms without being persuaded by starving it first, according to some LFS staff who happen to have one for sale

New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourself HERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.