UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient

Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient Post your questions, advice or experiences concerning these new methods. e.g. Prodibio, Fauna Marin and Zeovit

Old 10-09-11, 14:43
Cleaner Shrimp

Ultralith Ultrabio and dinos

So have been dosing Ultrabak and Ultra min S for a while now. half a ml of Bak every day and 0.5ml Min S every other day on my 330l net volume system. I started to notice a type of brown algae growing on my sand bed which i assumed to be diatoms. However, now think that they are dinos. It is definately not diatoms and is a type of slime algae. So could be dinos or brown cyano.

Params are

NO3 - 2
PO4 - a lot lower than 0.03 (salifert)
Ca2+ 450
KH 8.6
Mg2+ 1500

So i started with Ultralith and Ultra bio 3 days ago as i assumed i had promoted a monoculture. still waiting to see any improvement yet. can anyone suggest anything else i could be doing?

Thanks
Old 13-09-11, 12:15
Clownfish

Hi,

are you using ultralith system with or without zeolites?
Your Po4 deposits are high if they can be detected with salifert test kit. You can buy FM new high sens. PO4 test kit and than test your water. You will be supprised with readings

At the momet stop with ultramin-s.
Old 13-09-11, 18:45
Cleaner Shrimp

Hi there,

Just started on zeolites so will take a few weeks for them to kick in i guess. The salifert kit reads the same on my 0 TDS RO so i think its giving a false positive. But i take your point. Would you recommend FM or DD-Merck Phosphate tests?

Im not 100% sure it is Dino's it could be Diatoms. They are sort of dusty and rusty brown to start with and later form a matt which looks slimey and has a few bubbles in. Does not form long slimey strings with bubbles that rise upwards either.
Old 13-09-11, 20:44
Clownfish

What is the NO3 lvl?
Old 14-09-11, 07:45
Cleaner Shrimp

NO3 is 2 by the Salifert kit
Old 14-09-11, 19:09
Clownfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjc305 View Post
Hi there,

Just started on zeolites so will take a few weeks for them to kick in i guess. The salifert kit reads the same on my 0 TDS RO so i think its giving a false positive. But i take your point. Would you recommend FM or DD-Merck Phosphate tests?

Im not 100% sure it is Dino's it could be Diatoms. They are sort of dusty and rusty brown to start with and later form a matt which looks slimey and has a few bubbles in. Does not form long slimey strings with bubbles that rise upwards either.
I think that it is a cyanobacteria, but can you post pictures? Can you post tank parameters and some more info about your tank?
Old 19-01-12, 22:02
Triggerfish

Gonna follow this, I think I have the same brown stuff.
Old 25-01-12, 20:15
Clownfish

I had dino, it looked like snot, rising with a bubble, easy (well not costly) to get rid of it though.