UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient

Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient Post your questions, advice or experiences concerning these new methods. e.g. Prodibio, Fauna Marin and Zeovit

Old 12-02-12, 09:17
Sea Turtle

My levels sit at KH8.1 CA500 MG1480 in my tank, they will take about a month to drop to KH7 CA480 MG1280, then I do Atwater change and I'm back to square 1.
Obviously as I'm running Zeo, the latter numbers are better but my biggest concern is the swings I'm getting by doing a water change.
I think a salt with minimal elements would be better so that I could ball my levels to keep them more stable, do you see this causing me problems and do you think it's ok to carry on like this until my corals start using more and I can start balling

Gazz

3 mitras led
ATI 200i powercone
Profilux 3EX and Touch
Southampton reef club apprentice.

Old 12-02-12, 11:57
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Interesting advice Jamie.... I say interesting because it's diametrically opposed to the advice I've received regarding another sponsors product that (to a layman like me) does exactly the same thing as your product. I can see why you are suggesting it though....

The more answers I get just lead to more questions!!

Karl

Karl, welcome aboard! Opinions are free, therefore we get alot of 'em. Although I work for Vertex, I've kept marine aquariums since the '60s and have racked up some experience and opinions. And, you never get to the top of this learning curve. Something I love about this hobby/business.

Jamie
Old 12-02-12, 12:06
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzMan View Post
My levels sit at KH8.1 CA500 MG1480 in my tank, they will take about a month to drop to KH7 CA480 MG1280, then I do Atwater change and I'm back to square 1.
Obviously as I'm running Zeo, the latter numbers are better but my biggest concern is the swings I'm getting by doing a water change.
I think a salt with minimal elements would be better so that I could ball my levels to keep them more stable, do you see this causing me problems and do you think it's ok to carry on like this until my corals start using more and I can start balling

Gazz
Gazz,

that's a hard one to call. Every tank is different and it sound like yours is still maturing. If you want to boost the calcium extraction, add a couple of fast growers, such as Montipora foliosa and M. digitata. Have you used the Zeovit salt? I used it for a while and it is NSW leveled.

You're right, swings are to be avoided, but I'm surprised they are so strong for you. I change 5% per week and didn't have a real problem with swings in alk with boosted salts. Maybe less water change, done more often is a temporary solution.

Please understand, as I work for Vertex, it would be unseemly for me to do any critique or recommendations on the various salts available. You will find more information on manufactures websites, often real analysis. I have noted many stores only carry one particular mix from a manufacture, while others may be available.

Jamie
Old 20-02-12, 07:34
Angelfish

Hi all

Just trying to learn a bit about ULNS/ZEO.

Do you get problems running high KH and ULNS because of having no NO3 and PO4 or because of the additives used to achieve this?
Old 20-02-12, 15:41
Octopus

Your corals will suffer with KH burns, thats why you aim for levels as NSW. Kh should be around 7.5, Ca 420 & Mg 1280

Old 20-02-12, 15:54
Angelfish

Since upping my KH from 7.5 to 9 and holding it stable, my one and only SPS and m.digitata has started receding at the base.

I don't dose any ZEO or anything but I do have zero nitrate and PO4 just from natural filtration and Rowa etc

I wondered if this could be classed as a natural ULNS and my KH9 is hurting things
Old 20-02-12, 19:38
Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdbarnes View Post
Since upping my KH from 7.5 to 9 and holding it stable, my one and only SPS and m.digitata has started receding at the base.

I don't dose any ZEO or anything but I do have zero nitrate and PO4 just from natural filtration and Rowa etc

I wondered if this could be classed as a natural ULNS and my KH9 is hurting things
Quite possibly, I believe that is called RTN. Cannot be called natural if you are using Rowa!

Old 20-02-12, 20:46
Angelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe dredd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdbarnes View Post

Quite possibly, I believe that is called RTN. Cannot be called natural if you are using Rowa!
Lol, fair point!