UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Corals: > LPS

LPS All discussions relating to Large Polyp Stony Corals

Old 10-03-12, 23:54
Angelfish

Closed cat

Hi, cataphyllia has been in the tank for a week now, looked like it was doing good until today, fed off brine no probs and was open.. Have come back home tonight and it was entirely closed in. Now its slightly more open but tentacles are pulled in And mouth looks slightly swollen. Is this something normal or is there something i should look for/be aware of?

Will put up a pic later when i load photos on the pc.. Its placed with the cone sideways on the sand..have been wondering over the last week whether i should bury the cone in the sand instead? Flow is not that strong (1x mp10 about 2ft away not on full) and its on the bottom of the tank..

Any help is massively appreciated..its a beautiful blue tip and id hate losing it.. Thanks!
Old 13-03-12, 07:01
Cleaner Shrimp

Sorry mate, I'm no expert but mine has the cone in the sand, but it doesnt seem to like its flesh touching the sand. It does tend to sulk with water changes and occassionally bloats as if its full up, then stretches out again. No idea why tho.
Old 13-03-12, 07:20
Global Moderator
+ Help Team

My cat changes appearance all the time, sometime the tentacles are thin and long, sometimes they're almost like a bubbletip anemone, sometimes it's displaying a lot of it's head and mouth, other time i can't see them at all. Sometimes it inflates to twice it's size and sometimes it's completely sucked into the skeleton. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's in that state for a while.
Old 13-03-12, 13:59
Angelfish

ok thanks..seems to go in that state only at night and then expand again under daylight..only thing I was wondering is I've read that they like to be on the sand, and mine is placed sideways on the sand, whereas I beleive icja21 you have it with the whole cone submerged vertically? In the fish shop and in another tank i've seen the cat had the tentacles flying to the side and no flesh could be seen? mine seems to like to have its mouth/flesh in the light? is it because of positioning maybe?
Old 13-03-12, 15:23
Angelfish

If its been in your water for a week, then ,its probably not water quality. What fish do you have ? When i first introduced mine two years ago i had a large clown that kept trying to host in it and it refused to open. Or, if its being nipped by a fish it will also refuse to open.
Old 13-03-12, 16:00
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFalas View Post
ok thanks..seems to go in that state only at night and then expand again under daylight..only thing I was wondering is I've read that they like to be on the sand, and mine is placed sideways on the sand, whereas I beleive icja21 you have it with the whole cone submerged vertically? In the fish shop and in another tank i've seen the cat had the tentacles flying to the side and no flesh could be seen? mine seems to like to have its mouth/flesh in the light? is it because of positioning maybe?
That`s normal, mine shrinks at night, then after lights on, gets back to it`s full size again.
Old 13-03-12, 16:12
Global Moderator
+ Help Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFalas View Post
As said above, they'll do that. Shrink when the lights go off. Mine does that but reappears in the moonlights with very thin long tentacles wafting in the water and the polyps expand. Then an hour later they'll sink back into the skeleton, they come back out. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Not sure about the sand as I've got mine sitting on live rock.