UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Fish, Inverts & Plants: > Fish Health

Old 30-03-12, 22:13
Killer Whale

Okay, that's positive, and I agree you're best to avoid any water changes during the 21 days treatment period, unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
Old 09-04-12, 01:13
Clownfish

Following up on this thread. Reached day 14 of treatment and had some problems. The cloudy look to the water never really went away but, as I said, I didn't want to mess up the treatment so didn't do a water change. Tried to leave the fish as much as possible but began to notice that even the clowns had begun to hide away. No spots or marks are visible on any fish at this point. Anyway, one of my YTs seemed to become very skeletal all of a sudden today so I thought I'd have to take some sort of action tonight. Sadly, when I went to sort things out tonight the Tang had already died, along with a Chromis. I took the fish out of the sump and put them in my smaller spare tank, not ideal but it'll do, with fresh water. They seemed much happier pretty quickly and the clowns went back to their normal behaviour of being constantly visible. I'm not sure what the problem with the sump was but I think the cloudy water was the problem. I followed the chloroquine dosing regime carefully, using 6 dissolved tablets in 190l of water every 5 days. I think I'll leave further treatment in this new tank, unless I see whitespot return.
Old 09-04-12, 09:46
Killer Whale

Hmmm, real shame about the tang, without knowing for sure what the cause of the clouding has been, it's difficult to make any conclusions. Fair enough with the clowns, if disease returns you can try again.
Old 09-04-12, 10:39
Clownfish

So do I wanna leave the main tank fish free for another 6 weeks? Is that long enough to kill the parasite? Will that rid it from the tank completely? One good thing to come out of all this I suppose is that I will be running a QT for fish from now on. What about quarantining corals though? I don't have a spare halide at present.
Old 10-04-12, 18:20
Killer Whale

The necessary fallow time is dependant on the actual characteristics of a given strain - this is of course guesswork. A minimum of 10-12 weeks gives far greater security (this takes into account the lifecycle of the parasite).

Quarantining corals is a different matter entirely - disease transmission is a real possibility, but you'll have to weigh the risks against each other - I know of no reefer who fully quarantines their corals (quarantining motile inverts is far easier).
Old 10-04-12, 23:00
Clownfish

Thanks again Manta- you've been so helpful. I'll leave it 10 weeks in total then.