UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Medium

Medium (Display volume 31-100 gallons / 131-450 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 05-03-13, 22:09
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_O View Post
Hey mate any news on how your new frags are doing?
Safly they look kind of white... there are patches of brown that kind of looks like what diatoms look like on rock... so im praying that the browns patches are still alive and will regain colour....

If they dont make it at least iv learnt my lesson about corals from T5's to LEDs....
Old 06-03-13, 17:48
Triggerfish

SOme extra flow

Hi guys...

So because i splurged on the Deltec skimmer, i was left high and dry with regards to buying a second Vortech Mp10. SO given the fact that I have one Mp10, and one Tunze 6025, i decided to go for one more 6025, as i was really happy with the first 6025.

So i have the two Tunze's at one end....

And the Mp10 at the other end....

So currently, with my return I have around 50x the total volume of the display in flow, which i am hoping will be sufficient for SPS.

Speaking of SPS, here is a pic of one of the frags that got fried / bleached by the LED's

WIll be looking to add a Dwarf Angel this weekend, and maaaaaybe a small tang to QT...

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Jomega; 06-03-13 at 17:51.
Old 07-03-13, 08:55
Angelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomega View Post
Safly they look kind of white... there are patches of brown that kind of looks like what diatoms look like on rock... so im praying that the browns patches are still alive and will regain colour....

If they dont make it at least iv learnt my lesson about corals from T5's to LEDs....
I'm not sure but it's probably not the lights. My corals transferred over from my nano that had led lights and went into this tank with T5's, I never lost any.

They could be just sulking because of the shock of change

For those who haven't met me, I'm actually a woman
Old 08-03-13, 07:59
Great White Shark

Interesting jo

Would you mind putting mire pics up? Do you have a decent camera to take a close up? What species do you think bleached?
Old 08-03-13, 09:07
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
Interesting jo

Would you mind putting mire pics up? Do you have a decent camera to take a close up? What species do you think bleached?
Hi there Nigel....

As far as the guy stated at the LFS, they were all small frags of Monti Capricornis... I will try and take some pics tonight... i can see a tiny bit of olour on one of them, which makes me optimisitc... The rest now havesmalls sections of brown admist the white, so i hope those patches colour up again... my water params are perfect as far as i can tell via tests.
Very low Nitrate, very low phos, - alk, calcium, Ph and Mag all within normal (recommended) levels...
I think it could be two possibilities...
1 - SHock going from T5's to LEd (as big frags came from LED's and they were fine)
2 - I did dip them in revive for 15 minutes, and then in FW for 10 to 15 secs to rinse off the revive.... Maybe the FW shocked them?

On another irritating note - I think my bigger red monti Cap has nudi's.... there are small white patches on the coral (kind of like small little white blotches here and there, and s small area near the base is also white....sigh...

might have to whip it out - toothbrush and revive again....?
Old 08-03-13, 11:15
Angelfish

Quote:
Hi there Nigel....

As far as the guy stated at the LFS, they were all small frags of Monti Capricornis... I will try and take some pics tonight... i can see a tiny bit of olour on one of them, which makes me optimisitc... The rest now havesmalls sections of brown admist the white, so i hope those patches colour up again... my water params are perfect as far as i can tell via tests.
Very low Nitrate, very low phos, - alk, calcium, Ph and Mag all within normal (recommended) levels...
I think it could be two possibilities...
1 - SHock going from T5's to LEd (as big frags came from LED's and they were fine)
2 - I did dip them in revive for 15 minutes, and then in FW for 10 to 15 secs to rinse off the revive.... Maybe the FW shocked them?

On another irritating note - I think my bigger red monti Cap has nudi's.... there are small white patches on the coral (kind of like small little white blotches here and there, and s small area near the base is also white....sigh...

might have to whip it out - toothbrush and revive again....?
Ah that might well be it, they really don't like being dipped in fw.
I dipped mine (on advice) to get rid of flatworm and nearly lost a few, only now after weeks have the Xenia forgiven me.
I'll never ever do that again.
If it was me, I'd leave them alone and see what they do.
What is your Alk and KH reading? Also your magnesium and calcium too?

Old 08-03-13, 12:11
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPerks View Post
Ah that might well be it, they really don't like being dipped in fw.
I dipped mine (on advice) to get rid of flatworm and nearly lost a few, only now after weeks have the Xenia forgiven me.
I'll never ever do that again.
If it was me, I'd leave them alone and see what they do.
What is your Alk and KH reading? Also your magnesium and calcium too?
HI Jo

Yeah after advice from Nigel (eyore) and Chris O i think it might be the FW too....
I am defo just going to leave them be. If they are dead then they are dead... if there is any life in them they will come back so...

Calcium 455
Mag is around 1400
Alk is 8.6 Dkh
Ph is 8.2
Nitrates 2
Phos 0.03 (lowest reading on Salifert test)
So params seem fine.... and the other SPS frags seem to be doing well....i dont think i dipped them in FW to rinse them though.. which might be the difference...
Il give everything some time and let it be....
Old 08-03-13, 16:17
Angelfish

Quote:
HI Jo

Yeah after advice from Nigel (eyore) and Chris O i think it might be the FW too....
I am defo just going to leave them be. If they are dead then they are dead... if there is any life in them they will come back so...

Calcium 455
Mag is around 1400
Alk is 8.6 Dkh
Ph is 8.2
Nitrates 2
Phos 0.03 (lowest reading on Salifert test)
So params seem fine.... and the other SPS frags seem to be doing well....i dont think i dipped them in FW to rinse them though.. which might be the difference...
Il give everything some time and let it be....
Good plan, they hate being fussed with and will hopefully come back with time and good parameters (as you have)

Old 11-03-13, 09:45
Triggerfish

Quick Update

Just thought i would post a short update...

Upon closer inspection, it does not seem that my larger Monti Frags have nudi's as the white patches blow off, and there doesnt seem to be any tissue damage... I am having an issue with them staying glued to one place, as my three large turbo snails are intent on driving me batsh*t crazy by magicking my Monti frags onto the sand bed.
So i have ordered some frag plugs and Coral glue and will be shifting them onto these, as the plugs / boulders they are on now are too large..the small Super glue gel tubes dont seem to last very long....

Also, I picked up a four spot Wrasse... lovely little fellow bright yellow with a white belly, and three small dots on the dorsal line. thought he might be useful if i ever did get nudi's as the Hali Wrasses seem to prey on them from time to time (apparently)

Anyhow... when i introduced him he looked around for all of 4 seconds and then nose dived into the sand bed. he hasnt emerged but i have read they can be gone for some time. Hopefully he will emerge soon, and i can get a photo of him.

The Deltec is pulling heaps of skimmate out and my God it is the foulest smelling stuff i think i have ever smelt in my life...
I gave my old BM Nac 6a a good soak in vinegar, and actually let it run in the vinegar /Ro solution for two hours. It seems to work fine now.. So if anyone wants a deal, I am moving it on.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=627533

thanks all for looking
Old 13-03-13, 19:44
Angelfish

Your system's looking great Jo

Tags
build thread