UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > General Reefing

General Reefing General discussion area for reefing topics

Old 22-03-04, 18:58
Triggerfish

Hi all,

I'm visitin my gran in birmingham tomorrow... does anyone know of any good marine selling fish shops in the solihull area?

tony
Old 22-03-04, 19:48
Clownfish

Hi,

The closest to Solihull is probably Shirley Aquatics on the A34 about a half mile from Junction 4 of the M42.

I was in there yesterday and they have loads of fish but not much in the way of inverts at moment. But it's a big place so probably worth a look.

cheers

Steve
Old 23-03-04, 08:19
Angelfish

Shirley aquatics is good for fish but can be pricey...

Shirley Aquatics

also try MG Marines excellant for glass and tank building and good for Inverts but there fish can be a bit poor.

Churchfield Street
Dudley
West Midlands
DY2 8QR
Telephone 01384 234579
Fax 01384 211413
Old 23-03-04, 09:32
Clownfish

Hi mate

Shirley is good as already said, you might want to pay a visit to Erdington Aquatics aswell as they usualy have some really nice corals in

fish have been a little lacking in difference though recently

Old 23-03-04, 11:25
Triggerfish

i have only vivited shirley once, and vowed never to go back...the shop is nice and the staff appeared friendly enough, but their fish stock was among some the worst i had seen...plenty of variety but the condition was terrible..sail fin tangs with no sails (and i dont mean just a nip out of them), a yellow only had one eye and so on and on...the prices were not brilliant either...although that said simon did get some anthias as a real bargain....oh and all the corals were either dead or in the process of dying...maybe i just hit it on a bad day/week whatever..but on those showings i would not go again.........on the other hand, if you can travel as far as leicester, clearwater was a different story, shop is family run, and have got to rank amongst some of the friendliest folks i have met...the fish looked healthy (apart from poss 1 or 2) and the prices were reasonable...not much variety in the way of coral..(lovely table acro though..mmmmm).......these are just my opinions, and i can only speak on my own findings
Old 23-03-04, 19:30
Triggerfish

Shirley is worth a look, if nothing more to check out their Koy... they have a huge pool for them

The marine set up is variable, with some weeks looking stunning and others looking very shabby indeed. The staff are helpfull reliable but as with most you get a varied selection of opinions on what is right and what is wrong.

I bought my cleanup crew at shirley- asked them to test my water first to validate that my tests were ok etc. and it was all doen a bit grundgingly.

Erdington is worth a look - only been twice but were really helpfull and quite definitely were on the sensible side of advice. Equally... they wont sell you what you dont need! I enquired about the Aquamedic Phytoplankton cluture kit and they said ... save your self some cash and get some pop bottles... the rest you can buy off the rack in bits and still come in significantly cheaper!

Clearwater in Leicester I have heard good things about.. and MG but are probably a bit out of the way
Old 23-03-04, 19:33
Triggerfish

but down in bucks... you ought to go see Petfish in reading... small shop nice folk, wont waste your time.
Old 23-03-04, 20:00
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally posted by maffu@Mar 23 2004, 20:33
but down in bucks... you ought to go see Petfish in reading... small shop nice folk, wont waste your time.
just watch out for the crackheads and hookers on the oxford road ....i believe it is Berks too
Old 25-03-04, 16:27
Triggerfish

fair point foxman147..... Berks it is.

Crak heads and hookers add local entertainment value.

Petfish also have a black tang at the moment..... reckon you might appreciate him given your pic.
Old 25-03-04, 20:03
Triggerfish

the shop round the corner to me has two in at the mo..one is just over 200, the other is large but 499...i'll stick with just the one for now thanks...although TMC did have some in so you may find a couple of small ones lurking around the 150 mark