UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > General Reefing

General Reefing General discussion area for reefing topics

Old 23-12-08, 09:11
Triggerfish

Blue Reef Chromis

I am after some Blue Reef Chromis, i dont like green chromis particularly so am going to be getting some blue reef chromis hopefully what i wanted to know is does anybody have experience of keeping them? and i know they do best in groups would it be best to be an even number or an odd number as i only really want three of them

Alex
Old 23-12-08, 09:24
Members Tank Area Support

As far as I was aware they are the same fish until a did google image search. I have blue/green chromis which under my ATI tubes glow a really bright blue.
I did have 4 of them for around 6 months but last week, overnight, one went missing. I can only assume it was picked off by the other 3.
Old 23-12-08, 09:57
Triggerfish

Thanks Cav, yep i thought that until about a month ago and saw a shoal in Taunton and thought how nice they looked, they are more expensive than the green chromis by about 4 times and from your experience odd sounds best
Old 23-12-08, 16:35
Triggerfish

I started out with 8, now I have one. They kill each other off just like Green Chromis do sometimes. Nice fish all the same though.
Old 23-12-08, 17:53
Members Tank Area Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesii View Post
I started out with 8, now I have one. They kill each other off just like Green Chromis do sometimes. Nice fish all the same though.
Why do they do that? I've heard that good flow and regular feeding can prevent it from happening.
Old 23-12-08, 17:59

Same here,

I got a freebie blue/green that ended up in a bag when I bought another fish When I realised, I read up and saw that they did best is odd numbered shoals, so I bought 4 more and guess what 1 by 1 they dissapeared at night over a 2 week period. In the end I still have the 1 Not sure if it is the original but I'm not going to add any more after that....

PS: All were very healthy, had been QT'd and showed no ill health at all, but would just vanish in the night, like I had a mysterious Chromis eater..
New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourselfHERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.
Old 23-12-08, 20:58
Triggerfish

Hi,

I have 4 blues and 3 greens, they have been togeather for over 2 years now. No problems at all. They all shoal togeather well. They feed togeather and sleep within a few inches of each other.
My tank is 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft. I do feed well,up three times a day.

Regards

Rambo
Old 23-12-08, 21:11
Clownfish

ive got 11 blue/green chromis in my tank they have been together for about 2 years and are fine, they always lay eggs on the sealer and up my weir,one of the breeding pair turns a real nice blue/purple colour whilst guarding the eggs
Old 24-12-08, 09:30
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Why do they do that? I've heard that good flow and regular feeding can prevent it from happening.
This has always been my experience; it may be that if they sense erratic feeding and poor flow [which is a sign that food is less likely to flood past them on a reef] they become stressed and act to reduce the feeding competition. I've got about 25x -30x tank volume flow per hour and feed a minimum of 3x a day -sometimes 5x a day at the weekend. This keeps my 3 green chromis & 1 blue chromis & anthias pair happy.

New tank: NSW 5'x2'x2' ND Aquatics

Old tank: AquaOne Aquareef 200

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=358782
Old 24-12-08, 09:48
Clownfish

Chromis were one of the first fish put in mine ..... Started with 5 ended up with one nasty 'B*****d at the end, that moved onto other fish ..... needless to say it went back to lsf and I have a shoal of anthias now (still in quarantine!)
Cheers
T