UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Nano Specific Questions

Nano Specific Questions For all questions and information relating to aquariums less than 30 gallons (130 lt).
Please use the Member's Tank Specs - Nano & Pico forum for your nano tank threads

Old 01-01-09, 19:14
Clownfish

river reef 94

Hi Guys. I have been researching nanos for a few weeks and i fancied the 24 D&D or the 94 river reef. I have seen a 94 river reef on a well known auction site including cabinet & marine pack and delivery for 255.. Could you please advise if this is a good deal. I live on an island and dont have a local lfs so I require delivery on practically everything. Any advice or offers of a similar nature would be much appreciated.. xx
Old 01-01-09, 20:01
Global Moderator
Members Tank Area

Hi, I have a River Reef and have just looked on said auction site at this deal which is very reasonable IMO.

I paid 190 (I think) for the tank & stand.

There are a couple of things in the marine kit that would need to be upgraded virtually staright away. I would 'lose' the hydrometer and order a Refractometer (you need to pay at least 40 ish for a good one) and also invest in some Salifert test kits, the test kits in the package will do to get you up & running.

HTH

'The Big One'...The 'Old' 72x30x30 box! ......TOTM November 2012............Start your own tank thread here ......
Old 01-01-09, 20:16
Clownfish

Thank you so much that saved me on my next question on what I would need to upgrade. Can you advise if I would need extra pumps, powerhead and what size etc etc???

Thank u x
Old 01-01-09, 20:21
Cleaner Shrimp

It comes with 2 x 55lph pumps. Some people upgrade to a maxijet 1200 pump for one of them. I am keeping my pumps standard but will be adding a koralia wave one to increase the flow around my live rock. 255 is a good deal for the tank, stand and marine kit
Old 01-01-09, 21:05
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlil View Post
Hi Guys. I have been researching nanos for a few weeks and i fancied the 24 D&D or the 94 river reef. I have seen a 94 river reef on a well known auction site including cabinet & marine pack and delivery for 255.. Could you please advise if this is a good deal. I live on an island and dont have a local lfs so I require delivery on practically everything. Any advice or offers of a similar nature would be much appreciated.. xx
I have just looked at the auction site. IMO this is NOT a good deal. The reason is that anything else other than the tank and cabinet may not be of good quality. For instance, you definitely need a refractometer (not a hydrometer). Furthermore, you do not know what type of salt you will get, what kind of reef base you will get, etc. etc. More importantly, I can bet that the test kits are not salifert either.

I paid 205 for my river reef 94lt, cabinet and Boyu/JAD W310 skimmer. You can get the Boyu skimmer very cheaply from the same auction web site.
Old 01-01-09, 21:15
Cleaner Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout View Post
I have just looked at the auction site. IMO this is NOT a good deal. The reason is that anything else other than the tank and cabinet may not be of good quality. For instance, you definitely need a refractometer (not a hydrometer). Furthermore, you do not know what type of salt you will get, what kind of reef base you will get, etc. etc. More importantly, I can bet that the test kits are not salifert either.

I paid 205 for my river reef 94lt, cabinet and Boyu/JAD W310 skimmer. You can get the Boyu skimmer very cheaply from the same auction web site.

This is the interpet marine reef kit it comes with

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTERPET-RIVER...1%7C240%3A1318

All, or most of the kit is red sea stuff, pretty much the same as the red sea max kit, and it is pretty good quality. You dont definitely need a refractometer, plenty of people get by on hydrometers, but a refractometer can be a good investment for the future.