UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Supersized

Supersized (Display volume over 200 gallons / 900 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 09-03-09, 23:31
Admin Moderator

~ Tony's new reef

Well it's been a long time in the planning, but finally my new system is taking shape. My perc90 has been running for 4 years exactly, sited next to my desk in my study and looking something like this:

Perfect for viewing while sat at my computer, but that's a lot of empty wall, that could be filled with tank
So the plan took shape, an 8.5ft display tank enclosed with a false wall looking more like this:

There were two essential requirements 1. it will be quiet won't it, from my wife 2. the architectural design of the cladding, from my son - and yes, it is intentionally asymmetric by design.

I have my RO unit and make my salt water mixes in a store room in my garage, so it seemed obvious that it become my Sump room moving much of the 'noisy' gear out there. Unfortunately it is 30 ft away across a gravel drive, so an underground pipe would be needed to link them.

I start to realise it is a big jump from a perc90, and there are so many aspects new to me, so everything is tried, altered, and tweaked in Sketchup first. I start to collect the equipment. But delays ensue, a first grandchild absorbs my attention, an operation on both knees curtailed me somewhat for a while, but finally it is happening and about to get wet....

Main display: 2600 x 760 x 760 mm (8.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 ft)
Sump: 1500 x 600 x 450 mm (5 x 2 x 1.5 ft)
Old 09-03-09, 23:31
Admin Moderator

The first items to arrive are the stands for the tanks. The door to my study is 760mm which determines the depth from front to back of the stand and hence the display tank. Even then I am going to have to remove a bit of the architrave to get it through.

One for the main display, made from 40mm box section:

and one for the sump, with space for a secondary tank above it, at a later date.

Old 09-03-09, 23:32
Admin Moderator

When it came to installing the stand in my study I found I'd forgotten to take into account the fact that a wall in the access corridor meant I couldn't quite get it straight when going through the door so I had to remove all of the door architrave - ah well.

The tanks were ordered and delivered, and to my great relief 255 kg of glass tank traveled serenely via the garden, conservatory, kitchen, a 90 degree turn, and finally through into the study with no problems at all.

Unfortunately a computer disk crash meant that I lost the photos of that epic voyage, before I had a backup of them, so you will just have to imagine it.
Admin Moderator

The main tank has an end overflow weir into an external box, where a dual standpipe setup will take the water to the remote sump. A third overflow outlet is there in case of any future expansions and will be blanked off for now. The overflow slot itself was cut out of the end panel by drilling 2 holes and snapping the straights - I am told. It made a good job of teh slot.

The tank base is drilled with 3 x 50mm outlets at the back, and 4 x 40mm returns at the front. These provide the upflow for the coral face.
Additional over the top returns will provide circulatory 'tidal' flow around the tank.

Admin Moderator

The braces are spaced to take 4 Lumenarc reflectors

Admin Moderator

Plumbing was the next job to sort. I started drawing it all in 3D in Sketchup, which worked but started to get slow as I added more and more detail.

I therefore switched to a 2D view of the pipework, which was far easier to work with. I measured each bend and made the appropriate model, then played with various combinations until I was happy. This is the result.

Firstly the 4 front base returns. These are fed from one 10k Sequence pump via a 4-way OceansMotions so that flow alternates diagonally left then right.

Each arm is calculated to offer the same flow resistance, using the 'straight pipe' equivalence for each of the bends. The pump feeds straight up into the OM unit, and the pump inlet and outlet have a decent straight run to avoid problems.

The fittings all have the pipe insertion depth as part of the Sketchup model, so it was simple to add dimensions and get the pipe lengths for every piece.

I cut each pipe to the nearest millimeter, using a large pipe cutter. The resultant - a perfect fit for every piece
Old 09-03-09, 23:33
Admin Moderator

Further details of the pipe layout. Note each pump has a long straight feeding it.

The over top feeds are arranged diagonally, so that I can change the flow direction every few hours, and cut down of pumps running at any one time. (A small attempt at some economy)

A side view gave me the layout design and vertical pipe lengths. Also ensuring that the pipe runs are clear of each other.

and the other overtop pipe run. The right hand pipe has an odd 3D-pair of 45 degree bends to both turn through 45 degrees on the plan view and drop enough to pass under the crossing blue pipe.
Old 09-03-09, 23:33
Admin Moderator

So time to put all that into practice, and begin to add the plumbing.

The perc90 had been moved to the right hand wall a few months ago, to make room for the new tank.
Old 09-03-09, 23:42
Admin Moderator

In the meantime I needed to organize the underground pipe to the sump room.
This consists of 3 x 50mm MDPE pipes inside a 160mm drain buried 2 feet deep. The pipes were wrapped in a double layer of the aluminised bubble wrap for insulation, before being inserted into the drain pipe.

Using MDPE water pipe meant I had no joints underground and the run was smooth, both for good flow and the occasional clean-out of bacterial film if that proves necessary. The disadvantage is that the bends are a large radius. So back to sketchup to see what I could achieve with 1.6m diameter curves.

A couple of 30 deg bends in the 160mm pipe seemed to work, and a straight connection was adjusted to fit the slow radius bend.

And to give you some idea of the pipe run:

Old 09-03-09, 23:44
Triggerfish

I love these giant build threads !

Keep me sane at work late at night !!