UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Corals: > Anemones

Old 21-12-09, 14:34
Clownfish

LED Lighting for anenome???????

Heres a challanging one.

I'm planning on building a small reef which will include an Anenome.

as yet I am open on what lights to use. but T5's seem to be out of the question unless they can be purchased in bulb form.

I want the best lighting to sustain an anenome. I have my eye on LED lighting, mainly because it seems the way forward and its cooler on the water for a small tank, where as halide may overheat the water.

As yet I am unsure of the correct lighting i should buy. there is a multitude of LED grow lights available with 3 diff coulours white red and blue. Am I correct in assuming that blue is the best wavelength for zooxanthellae algae?? would a mix of white and blue be good? would red be useless as that part of the spectrum is lost a few feet under the water?

please let me know. Halogen and Halide are still a consideration. also is there much difference in the bright led strips and the grow lamp LED's

thanks in advance.

Old 21-12-09, 14:59
Clownfish

hello lynchmob

i would like to start be saying you should be carfull when choosing lights as most of the lights you have just said are not realy any good halogen for one put out far to much harmfull rays so should never be used..
as for the grow lights leds you are talking about i wouldnt like to risk it as the leds you need for marine produce verry specific spectrum that zooxanthellae needs

anemones can and have been cept alive under t5s halides and leds but only those lights specificly desighned for marine use..

also the depth of your tank plays a verry big part of what light you would be able to use
Old 21-12-09, 15:21
Clownfish

thanks for the info. its a foot and a half deep.

tmc make a specially designed light for marine? I know nothing about halogen so thanks for telling me. as i always said halide was still an option but if there is a led solution then it would be perfect.

anyone elses advice is appreciated also.
Old 22-12-09, 10:40
Sea Turtle

You'll be lucky to get any real ' been there, done that' advice on keeping anemones under LED's as LED usage over reef type tanks is relatively new and people who keep anemones are also relatively thin on the ground. Combine the two and the number of people with both is going to be tiny. I suspect that the best general advise would be to have a look at the TMC HD tiles and the KR91 Luminaires from Weston Marine Life. Both of these units use LEDs of the correct spectrum so it's just a matter of whether they produce enough light. Depending upon the size of your tank you may have to use multiple units ( especially the TMC HD Tiles) to get sufficient coverage.
Old 22-12-09, 14:22
Angelfish

You could always build a DIY LED array. Then you would have the option of using tighter optics (lenses) ove the areas you need more intense light.

Old 22-12-09, 17:56
Clownfish

after hours of research on the internet over the past couple days i have been snowed in thats exactly what im going to do. my set up is less than 60l so i think 3 cree bright white and 4 royal blue will do me a treat. bit more work and i'll have the perfect design. just one last question will those lights cover the spectrum i wll need for the anenome?
Old 22-12-09, 18:28
Angelfish

You will need more than 7 LEDs. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Old 22-12-09, 19:34
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob View Post
after hours of research on the internet over the past couple days i have been snowed in thats exactly what im going to do. my set up is less than 60l so i think 3 cree bright white and 4 royal blue will do me a treat. bit more work and i'll have the perfect design. just one last question will those lights cover the spectrum i wll need for the anenome?
60l is pretty small... I'd be tempted to go with more than 3 whites though. If you do I'd go for a 5 cool white, 2 royal blue split. Which LEDs in particular - XRE/XPE/MCE???
Old 23-12-09, 21:28
Octopus

A m8 has a carpet nem doing well under aquaray tiles.The nem has adjusted itself to get right under the light source and is about a foot under the surface.
Old 24-12-09, 17:12
Sea Turtle

60 litres will be a challenge to keep a nem alive and healthy. And I do speak from experience. I kept a bta in my 94l nano for several months (long story), under t5 lighting, during which time it grew massively and eventually split. Btas are pretty forgiving for nems, but was still hard work - wouldn't do it again. Parameter swings in such a small volume of water are a pita and must be kept to a minimum or the nem will suffer and if it dies it'll wipe out the tank. So you have to consider how you're going to keep temp, salinity, pH etc etc all stable. Much easier in a bigger system as more stable. Furthermore, a nem will sting any corals in close proximity and if it does flourish, will rapidly take over the tank. My bta started out a couple of inches across and was about 10" extended when it split, which dominated the tank.
As for lighting - my bta is now under aquarays (about 8" underneath reef whites and reef blues) and has been since February. Seems happy enough and has grown.