UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Supersized

Supersized (Display volume over 200 gallons / 900 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 08-10-09, 07:17
*****UR Studmuffin*****

Intertidal Reef Flat and mixed biotope system

The old tank gets stripped this weekend ( for details on the old system click here) and a new challenge is under way thanks to those nutters in the states who've been egging me on ever since i mentioned the idea at the IMAC conference in LA.

An Intertidal Reef Flat system with multi-biotope filtration.

Havent got time to transfere it all over to hear at the Mo, but I'll add photos as things progress and cross link to my main thread at Manhattan reefs..

For a breakdown on the new system Visit here..

Regards

Last edited by simon garratt; 09-01-10 at 10:28.
Old 08-10-09, 07:21
South East Marine Club Leader
(the first member to reach 10,000 posts without an official title under their name - now has one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon garratt View Post
If anyone is interested.

Tank gets stripped this weekend and a new challenge is under way thanks to those nutters in the states who've been egging me on ever since i mentioned the idea at the IMAC conference in LA.

Havent got time to transfere it all over to hear at the Mo, but I'll add photos as things progress.

Regards

Wow a low tide system setup sounds very different and maybe the first on here, will be interesting to not only see how the setup works but also the results you get.

Very different idea indeed.
Old 08-10-09, 09:15
Triggerfish

sounds like a very interesting project, good luck with it

and chance of some upto date pictures of the old tank before you strip it.

Old 08-10-09, 09:30
Sea Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy j View Post
sounds like a very interesting project, good luck with it

and chance of some upto date pictures of the old tank before you strip it.

I have had the old wire clippers in there so now looks like hurricane has ripped thou it
Old 08-10-09, 09:37

This is pioneering stuff, the filter tower, the zonation, the tidal aspect, THE PLUNGER

Have you worked out yet how to control this ? I mean it will need some reasonable device to bring in/out of operation as I assume the water pressure on the mechanism with add to the effort.
New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourselfHERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.
Old 08-10-09, 11:47
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon garratt View Post
If anyone is interested.

Tank gets stripped this weekend and a new challenge is under way thanks to those nutters in the states who've been egging me on ever since i mentioned the idea at the IMAC conference in LA.

An Intertidal Reef Flat system with multi-biotope filtration.

Havent got time to transfere it all over to hear at the Mo, but I'll add photos as things progress.

Regards
Looks very interesting Simon, many years ago when I first started keeping reef tanks my dad suggested trying a plunger to create water movement instead of powerheads... he's a consultant surgeon and wanted to try various medical plungers but sadly nothing really came from it.

Do you expect to lose quite a few corals until you find species that have suitable adaptations to handle the environmental changes?

ATB, Tom
Old 08-10-09, 12:19
*****UR Studmuffin*****

Hi Guys...I thought a few ears might prick up at this one.

Quote:
Wow a low tide system setup sounds very different and maybe the first on here, will be interesting to not only see how the setup works but also the results you get.
As far as im aware Jon, its pretty much a first on this scale or intended accuracy anywhere outside public aquaria or other applications in the commercial shell fish industry., so it will be interesting. The only other guy i know of is a guy called Justin in the states who i met at macna, but as far as im aware it wasnt the corals he was exposing as such, just an intertidal shore line and rubble zone ( i may be wrong on that count)..try as i have though, I havent found anybody doing it to this degree.

Ridgeway.

The tidal and flow patterns will all be controled by IKS with the relevant durations etc set to simulate both flow and luna tidal variations over a per day-per month basis (im still working on seasonal shifts, but its do-able)

Thom.

im looking through various resorces to find info on which species are the most prevelent within these regions (have the highest adaptability to air exposure) so i can limit the hit and miss approach as much as possible...suffice to say though it will realy be a case of banging in a load of those species with the highest probability of survival and then weeding out the less capable over time to let the upper regions grow out..'Hopefully' into the intertidal region of the tank. whilst the lower reaches stay permanantly submerged.

Regards
Old 08-10-09, 14:18
Angelfish

I do like you new wave system idea Si, very simple idea indeed, i may have to pinch the idea for my new tank
Old 08-10-09, 15:20
*****UR Studmuffin*****

Well, come round when its all plumbed up and being wet tested Pete...should be some time in December with any luck....The conversion isnt that difficult to be honest.. its just time and money..(as usual)

regards
Old 08-10-09, 16:51
Help Team

Hi Simon,

How are you going to control the air temperature of the exposed corals?

will your halides/lighting be on or off at low tide?

think you mentioned the low tide would be at night? or at least dawn and dusk?

Lots of questions, sorry

Regards

Steve

Reefers Do It Slowly!!!! On yonder hill there stands a cow and if it ain't gone it's still there now.
Smile they said things could be worse, so I smiled and sure enough things got worse.
The Marine Get-Together Group
Berkshire, Surrey and Hampshire

New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourself HERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM