UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > DIY

DIY For your DIY plans, ideas, and related info.

Old 20-01-10, 11:27
Moray Eel
I posted UR's 2,000,000th Post!

Talking DIY 8+ Channel LED / Aquaray Controller Schematic

Hi all

I've quickly knocked up the below circuit schematic to possible tempt some people into building a new DIY controller for LED lighting units. It's designed to work with the Aquaray (beam) units from TMC (19v, 700mA each strip), which is not too different from the DIY lighting circuits that people are putting together. This circuit shows 8 driver stages, so can drive up to 8 Aquabeam strips, but it can be expanded with more IO ports being used on the microcontroller. There aren't too many pins left with the chosen micro, but a larger one could be substituted if you wanted more channels. The circuit also has an LCD module, for visual output/configuration and some spare pins for switches etc (you'll need some of these if you wish to have control buttons for menus etc).

The possibilities are relatively endless; channel fading, weather simulation, sunrise/sunset, moonlight & lunar cycles, etc etc. A lot of the code for this type of controller already exist and can be adapted to work with this circuit.

This circuit uses mainly off the shelf parts which any budding electronics enthusiast should be able to put together. It is based around the Atmel AT90USB162 AVR microcontroller, but this can be substitued with pretty much any other AVR as long as it has enough suitable pins. I opted for the USB version (which itself can be directly replaced with the newer ATMEGA32U2) as it provides easier programming (using the Atmel FLIP software via USB). If you were so inclined, you could also use the Arduino programming environment if you prefer this method of coding and program onto this hardware. Arduino USES the AVR platform, it is not hardware in itself. Remember that kids

This is not a complete turnkey solution!! It is a rough schematic which shows you how to hook up the major components. You will have to be a little creative with it depending on what you want in the end. You will also have to write the code for the microcontroller yourself to do what you want. You can use raw C, Arduino stuff, even BASIC thanks to BASCOM. You can implement a Real-time Clock (RTC) on the AVR itself, or you could add in a seperate RTC chip and control it via SPI.

Anyway, here's the schematic :

For a larger, scaleable version of the schematic please click here: http://reeftronix.com/rt_8chled_01.emf

Some useful links:

BuckPuck Datasheet: http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/...1-BuckPuck.pdf

Atmel AT90USB162 Datasheet: http://atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_...ts/doc7707.pdf

Notes:
- TMC will invalidate your warranty if you do not use their specific PSU on their Aquaray units
- You can use this circuit to control other DIY LED projects, it does not have to be for Aquarays. The BuckPucks can be used to control other banks of LED's just how many other projects do today already.
- I have produce this design because I don't have enough time to do a complete unit at the moment, so please don't ask me to
- TBA

Discuss
Old 20-01-10, 11:55
Great White Shark

very nice.

question - how confident are you they will work the aquarays/aquabeams. bear in mind i am not familiar with the aquabeams/aquarays , but i'm thinking that there must be buckpucks/buckboosts already in the aquarays/aquabeams
Old 20-01-10, 11:59
Moray Eel

The PSU's do the current limiting for the aquarays.
Old 20-01-10, 12:04
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ul_sjo View Post
The PSU's do the current limiting for the aquarays.
got it, i've just realised that this does not use the aquaray psu
Old 20-01-10, 12:05
Moray Eel

Yes, I wasn't clear enough. This solution enables just one PSU to drive 8 (or more) light units.
Old 20-01-10, 12:14
Moray Eel

just what i am after

just a pity I havent got a clue...........blew me away

Confusius says
"Man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day"

"Man who scratches ass should not bite fingernails"
Old 20-01-10, 12:54
Moray Eel

Due to the BuckPucks having a 4.2v ceiling (so 4.2v on the CTRL pin = 0 output), and due to the Vbe drop over a NPN transistor limiting output to around 4.3v, it's probably safer to use a common emitter configuration for the buffers like this:

Old 20-01-10, 13:02
Moray Eel

I've been having a little think about the above output buffer to the buckpuck CTRL pins.. due to the silly 1k input impedence, the common emitter design above will exceed the current capabilities of the 5v rail provided by the buckpucks Ref pin..

So.. some alternatives :-

- If only having one buckpuck per GPIO on the AVR, delete the transistor and go direct from the AVR to the CTRL pin
- If having more than one buckpuck per GPIO on the AVR, then replace the transistor with a cheap FET, perhaps a jFET - something with a low switching threshold. I'll find an example and some knock up some example diagrams.
Old 20-01-11, 06:33
Hermit Crab

goog morning from Spain, I've been looking for a long time network like Diem these Aquabeam. Do you and what you see with?

thank you very much. Spain inentare it because the driver is worth much money.