UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Nano Specific Questions

Nano Specific Questions For all questions and information relating to aquariums less than 30 gallons (130 lt).
Please use the Member's Tank Specs - Nano & Pico forum for your nano tank threads

Old 23-01-10, 07:36
Cleaner Shrimp

Orca/Boyu TL450 Skimmer

Hi all,

Recently purchased a nano, I have already started replacing some stock items such as the orginal skimmer to a Boyu WG310 which is on its way from Hong Kong, my question is with regards to the orginal design of the stock skimmer - it appears that the collection cup does not sit on the main body of the skimmer itself, on mine there is about a 5cm, if not more of space inbetween which would mean the micro bubbles would just overflow and then rise up the rear back chamber and maybe eventually climb up the collection cup until there were collected, is this correct on the Orca coz I've never seen a skimmer like this? You cant lower the cup and you cant raise the skimmer coz its connected to the next chamber!!! Also there doesnt seem to be any bubbles what so ever coming from this even with the airvalve open fully, am guessing this is why so many people replace them?

Cheers for your thoughts.

Adam
Old 25-01-10, 11:05
Cleaner Shrimp

The stock skimmer is not very good. The gap to the collection cup does not capture all the bubbles which can get into the main tank which is why I replaced mine. If you are not getting any bubbles with the stock skimmer you may find that the air supply pipe is blocked. It can sometimes get bent over when you fit the black sponge filter.
Old 25-01-10, 12:25
Cleaner Shrimp

i wouldnt worry yourself too much about the stock skimmer as its pants!!! bin it asap!! like yourself i upgraded to the WG310!!! well worth it!!
Old 25-01-10, 16:17
Clownfish

Well I have to disagree about the stock skimmer! My Orca as been running for about 18 months. Its true that at first it does produce air bubbles in main tank but once it settles down it works very well. Mine produces a dark brownish scum that fills the collection vessel about one a week. There are no micro bubbles in the main tank. I do own a WG310 but this is is my bigger Fluval tank and I have to say is a pain to keep adjusting to get the best from it.
Old 25-01-10, 19:01
Hermit Crab

I have just joined the site but I have had my Orca running for 2 years + now. Does not matter what you do to the skimmer you just get micro bubbles. I made a spacer to fill the gap between the scimmer bottle to the collection cup but never solved the problem. So for the past 2 years + I have never ever skimmed - 10% water change every week and the tank is fantastic, water very good. But I must say this week end I am getting a Red Sea Max 130D but have other plans for the Orca !!

Good luck with solving the problem.
Old 25-01-10, 23:13
Clownfish

I have a Orca 550 - is the Boyu WG310 the same as the stock skimmer, or a better model? Thanks!
Old 26-01-10, 21:08
Angelfish

I'm interested in getting one of these too. Does the WG310 skimmer come with its own designated pump? Or does it run off the 1st chamber pump like the stock skimmer?
Old 27-01-10, 10:30
Cleaner Shrimp

It has its own pump. You will not need the air feed pipe either as the WG310 has its own air feed.
Old 29-01-10, 00:39
Clownfish

I'm guessing that I don't have a stock skimmer then - mine has it's own pump and air feed already. I just don't have any instructions on how to make the damn thing work properly. It just sits there filling the collecting cup with water then overflowing into the chamber.... I've tried adjusting the obvious bits, but to no avail... If anyone could scan and email me the instructions, I'd by eternally grateful!
Old 29-01-10, 12:32
Clownfish

Don't think there are any instructions with th WG-310. Thats what mine did when it work used to just chuck that water away