UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient

Probiotic and Ultra Low Nutrient Post your questions, advice or experiences concerning these new methods. e.g. Prodibio, Fauna Marin and Zeovit

Old 11-06-10, 07:25
Triggerfish

http://www.internationalreefers.com/...showtopic=6227

You'll find a lot of information here, long term results and a group of people who are trying different methods to get the best results from the pellets - this thread began in febuary 2010 and we are getting to grips with them now - Its not a wonder cure to poor water quality, and you need a regular production of nitrates to sustain the enhanced bacteria population - so well stocked tanks benefit the most. Biopellets as ONE PART of your filtration are brilliant as they let you feed massive amounts more and maintain low nitrates - and you need low levels of nitrate to maintain healthy balanced corals anyway so dont aim to achieve zero - (the bacteria you've built up on the pellets would die as well if you could reach zero readings)

Our Home tank 6x2x2

keep a true starfish or 2 - it's easy, and you will have saved them from being dried out for souveniers
Old 11-06-10, 07:46
Triggerfish

Excellent thread ... I'm currently running Zeovit, but like the idea of theses and will be looking to possible run them in a future upgrade.

Ben
Old 11-06-10, 09:16
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptdaddy View Post
Excellent thread ... I'm currently running Zeovit, but like the idea of theses and will be looking to possible run them in a future upgrade.

Ben
Does anyone know if there systems can be combined? or is it sacrifice one bacterial strain for the other.......
Old 11-06-10, 10:11
Clownfish

Im using zeoback to seed the pellets and i assume you dont need to dose zeostart as the pellets are the food source i've also removed the zeolith but continue to dose the amino acids etc etc
Old 13-06-10, 12:31
Triggerfish

I also chose biopellets over zeo system. Nitrates down from +50 to 10 with heavy stocking. Cyano gone and polyp extensions amazing. Some other threads to read are: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694529 http://www.irishfishforum.com/viewto...5404&start=165 http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=382176
Old 14-06-10, 16:30
Angelfish

What's everyone's opinions on whether to run phos remover separately or whether to leave the N/P pellets to reduce phos on their own?

I've read a lot of threads on this and everyone seems to rave about the pellets nitrate reducing properties but there appears to be little mention of how successful it is with phosphates and many people appear to run rowaphos simultaneously.

Would appreciate any advice because i've recently removed my rowaphos completely and filled my reactor with the pellets. Nitrate has already dropped after only a week but my phos test kit is not accurate enough to determine any drop in phosphates and i'm not sure whether to put rowaphos back in again as i'm still experiencing small amounts of diatoms.
Old 14-06-10, 18:20
Triggerfish

my phosphates went up after stopping rowa with pellets. If you see my biopellets thread above someone advised me you need the phosphates for the bacteria so I am waiting until my nitrates are as close to zero as possible before re-starting Rowa
Old 15-06-10, 10:37
Angelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
my phosphates went up after stopping rowa with pellets. If you see my biopellets thread above someone advised me you need the phosphates for the bacteria so I am waiting until my nitrates are as close to zero as possible before re-starting Rowa
Would the nitrates not just start going straight back up again once the rowa is put back in and the bacteria no longer have as much phos to use up? Or do the pellets no longer need the phos once they have been established?

I'll have a read of your thread now...
Old 15-06-10, 20:16
Triggerfish

So where can someone order these?

Ben
Old 15-06-10, 21:21
Clownfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptdaddy View Post
So where can someone order these?

Ben
Coral Culture .