UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Systems: > Filtration

Filtration Skimmers, Live rock, DSB, etc

Old 22-04-10, 13:49
Cleaner Shrimp

Angry Very noisy TMC V2 500 Compact skimmer

Hello all,
I have installed today a new TMC V2 500 Compact skimmer, they said in the shop that was brand new and very good... but it's REALLY noisy!!
Does anyone else has this skimmer? any problem with the noise?? any solution???

Thanks a lot in advance!!
David
Old 23-04-10, 11:01
Angelfish

Is it the skimmer or the pump?

Not sure on the V2 500, but I have a V2 400 and the Rio pump that comes with it gives of a LOT of noise, after trying serveral methods to reduce the noise, I ended just replacing the pump.
Old 23-04-10, 11:44
Angelfish

I have the 300 compact and I have to say its relatively quiet and does its job fairly ok.. sort of a low hum you can get used to quite easily - tank's in the bedroom and hear the mp10's much more than the skimmer. Is it just a noisy pump on yours? I was thinking i might need a larger skimmer and was thinking the 500 or a tunze.. if you say its so noisy might want to stay away though
Old 23-04-10, 14:09
Cleaner Shrimp

I think it's not the pump, it's related to the return to the tank, Im trying to set it up for the first time, so maybe the water level is not correct, of the air bubbles flow... not sure, but I'd say is not the pump itself. It introduces a lot of micro-bubbles into the tank as well, which affects the water transparency...
Old 23-04-10, 15:25
Angelfish

my 2p worth ;o)...

does it sound like its sucking in air ? does it have a tap to control the air intake ?
Also bare in mind that these skimmers take a few days to bed in properly.
My v2 600 is the same replace the body yesterday and it does sound a bit loud.

if you getting loads of microbubbles, i'd put a thin sponge just under the outlet untill it has settled in ( acts like a bubble stop)
Old 23-04-10, 16:01
Angelfish

agree with vrajah..was scary the amt of bubbles at first, now it has settled in and only very few bubbles now. For the noise try checking if it may be a vibration issue from how you've hung it to the tank.. mine has the main body sitting inside water so that maybe dampens noise a bit I guess
Old 23-04-10, 18:06
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
I think it's not the pump, it's related to the return to the tank, Im trying to set it up for the first time, so maybe the water level is not correct, of the air bubbles flow... not sure, but I'd say is not the pump itself. It introduces a lot of micro-bubbles into the tank as well, which affects the water transparency...

i have the 300 compact and at first it was noisey and put a lot of micro bubbles in the tank, it stressed me out for about a month and was considering selling it , but now its been running a while its got almost silent and it is working great, not a single buble goes back in the tank, my advise is stick it out for a month or so and then see where you are

Old 26-04-10, 09:52
Cleaner Shrimp

Thanks a lot for your advices... I think I'll do that, wait for a month or so and see if it's beds in properly...
I'll post my experiences after that
Old 27-04-10, 12:15
Cleaner Shrimp

i have the 300 compact and it puts a lot of micro bubbles in the tank i have rang tmc they said this is normal and it will take about 10 days to bed in
Old 27-04-10, 12:39
Clownfish

Glad i'm not alone with the noisy bubble factory now hanging off my tank