UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Corals: > LPS

LPS All discussions relating to Large Polyp Stony Corals

Old 18-08-10, 11:11
Clownfish

How to feed a hammer coral?!

Hello all, recently purchased a small branching hammer and despite extending better in my tank than that of where I got it from, it doesnt seem interested in feeding. I have tried a range of foods but it just seems to spit it back out!

Do you have to feed them at night?

Any help/tips much appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 18-08-10, 21:00
Clownfish

bump!
Old 18-08-10, 21:03
Great White Shark

Is it Euphyllia ancora also called anchor coral? Even though I don't have one, this general article on feeding corals was recently e-mailed to me, and it may help for the Hammer, too
What Do Corals Eat? - Part 4 - Corals Need More Than a Lot of Light
I probably would never be able to get one due to their special compatibility considerations, needing lots of room so they don't sting others nearby.
I believe the Hammer is number two on the top 20 list of coral aggressiveness. (I am having a problem with overcrowding right now as my xenias, yellow polypes and two leather mushrooms are hogging all the room.) SO IF YOU FEED IT LOTS, IT WILL DEMAND MORE ROOM.
Careful though with overfeeding as they demand excellent water quality ...(calcium supp. of course) and are sensitive to green algae invading the skeleton... a strong protein skimmer will help take care of that.
Let us know how your hammer prospers
Old 18-08-10, 21:36
Great White Shark

If it's extending, looks happy, and has decent light, wouldn't worry too much about feeding. If you feed the tank (eg. with coral foods, rotifers etc) it may take up something, but on the whole Euphyllia isn't very demanding in terms of food and is more interested in good water conditions and lighting.
Old 19-08-10, 13:02
Angelfish

I've wondered this too. At the moment, I put a bit of a frozen finely chopped up mixture of mysis, artemia, bloodworm, prawn into a test vial, add some salt water and mix it all up to ensure the food is thawed and mixed up, then suck up some of the mixture into a 5ml syringe and gently squirt it in the center of each head of my hammer (having turned off the pumps first). I'm not sure how effective this is as I've only just started to try target feeding. I also wonder if I should be trying to give the hammer a larger whole mysis - although this looks far bigger than the mouth could eat.
Old 19-08-10, 21:39
Clownfish

Cheers for the replies people. It is strange as I have heard numerous times how aggressive they are but havent seen mine even extend its sweepers at night? I'll try feeding according to that article and see how things go. Jbeeston, i feed my duncan large whole mysis and the mouth opens to fit it in, but i dont think hammers are capable of this?
Old 20-08-10, 12:14
Angelfish

Should you be using Blood Worm in a marine tank?
Old 20-08-10, 22:38
Angelfish

I'm not sure now that you ask to be honest! I have a feeling I'd read somewhere that it was ok, although I don't think it's a common marine food. I can't even remember what I put in my mixture now but I thought I put a cube of each of the frozen foods I had - as I keep tropicals too, I had a couple of different ones.

Still, doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect. I put the cubes in a mini blender thing and chopped it all up quite small, then poured the mixture into a freezer bag and patted until the mixture was in a pretty thin layer. Once frozen I can just break off bits of the thin sheet.

I wouldn't use live bloodworm though. You'll have to forgive me if I've made a faux pas with the frozen bloodworm in my food mix.

Last edited by jbeeston; 20-08-10 at 22:42.
Old 20-08-10, 23:58
Angelfish

I don't think bloody worm are a natural food source for marines. Therefore they should be avoided, but I am sure that what you have added wont have caused a problem.

Sumped 5"x2"x2". Started Aug '09
Old 21-08-10, 15:27
Angelfish

I give mine red plankton ( Ocean nutrition ) . Its ideal for use whith a syringe and they always eat it. Twice aweek.