UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Fish, Inverts & Plants: > Seahorses

Seahorses For all questions and information about these peaceful creatures.

Old 05-05-11, 06:36
Clownfish

Seahorse with white tail

Has my seahorse got vibro? Over the past couple of days his tail has started to go white and seems to be getting worse.It doesn't look like something is growing on him like a fungus. He is an adult kuda. The tank parameters are fine ,temp 23. sg 1023. A few weeks ago I did add a couple more baby seahorses but apart from that nothing has changed. He is the one I had to " burp" a little while ago but has been fine since. Please can you help me and advise me what if anything I can do for him
Old 05-05-11, 07:32
Triggerfish

Denise will be along soon to answer your question. I belive that horses with Vibro have a different way of swimming. they kind of stretch out their tails strait? I believe that Diamox is the preferred treatment for Virbo do you have any?
T
x
Old 05-05-11, 08:41
Great White Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge View Post
Has my seahorse got vibro? Over the past couple of days his tail has started to go white and seems to be getting worse.It doesn't look like something is growing on him like a fungus. He is an adult kuda. The tank parameters are fine ,temp 23. sg 1023. A few weeks ago I did add a couple more baby seahorses but apart from that nothing has changed. He is the one I had to " burp" a little while ago but has been fine since. Please can you help me and advise me what if anything I can do for him
Sounds like tail rot.(Can't tell for sure without a picture.) Do you have a spare tank you can move him to for treatment? If possible move him to the spare tank and slowly lower the temp to 68. You need to find a med thats treats gram negative and gram postive bacteria.

It is a very contagious disease and you need to treat the infected seahorse apart from the other ones. In the mean time keep and eye out for the other seahorses and fish you have in there with the sick one.

Also I posted a list of questions here, POST #17 it would really help to know everything that is going on with your tank. I am not really good with the treatment part, but I am very good at the prevention part. I think I know the cause, but I need more info from you just to make sure.

Aquarium Munster or Waterlife might carry a product you can use. Is Triple Sulfa available in the UK?

Here is a good blog about it.

Hang in there, help is on the way.

Tim

Last edited by timinnl; 05-05-11 at 16:24.
Old 05-05-11, 08:59
Triggerfish

It could also be heater burn or something like that. Is your seahorse hitching normally, or does it look like it won't wrap its tail fully around a hitch? Do you notice any other white patches any where on the seahorse?

As Tim says, its important to get all of your parameters to know if something is slightly amiss.

If it is anything other than just colouring you will need to move the seahorse to a hospital tank, with a lower temperature but we need to find out other details first Posting a pic will really help with diagnosis.
Old 05-05-11, 12:01
Seahorse Adviser

if you can post a pic and give a description of how the seahorse is behaving it would help,Vibro normally presents as a white patch on the tail or sometimes the trunk.the seahorse will become listless and unable to hitch.it is as Tim says highly contagious and the seahorse will need to be quarantined.with the salinity and temp dropped.the treatment is a gram neg antibiotic such as neo3 but i dont know where to get this over here the other alternative is neomycin which you can get from your vet,but he may ask to see the seahorse.if it is vibro there are apparently 12 different strains of it so unless you know the exact strain it is hard to treat correctly most seahorse carry it but it comes out when the seahorse is under stress a new home or incorrect water conditions

Last edited by denise.gardner; 05-05-11 at 20:57.
Old 05-05-11, 19:23
Clownfish

Not the best but I hope they will help. The tank is 130 litres with 65 litre sump. It has a skimmer and phos reactor. Just done some more tests , ph 8.0, dkH 7, nitrate 0, phoshate 0, cal 420, sg 1023 and the temp is 23 degrees. He appears to swim and hitch normally . He is eating and appears ok apart from his tail. Hope you can help. I have a qt tank, should I take him out any way? Other seahorses look ok and nothing has died or changed in the tank for ages except a problem with the return pump that needed a new impeller and the introduction of the new seahorses weeks ago.
Old 05-05-11, 19:41
Moray Eel

Apart from what other have said which I know little of, but in your last pic of seahorse near the pump, there is no covering of the grill etc, could it have caught it tail in the pump but was lucky not to have done serious damage. Just a thought.

Old 05-05-11, 19:50
Clownfish

It doesn't look like it has got caught, just a white covering . I tried to cover the pumps but the covering just got cover in "crap" so I uncovered them again and keep my fingers crossed, and so far they tend to keep away from them, unless of course you want to take a picture and call my a liar
Old 05-05-11, 20:14
Great White Shark

How many animals in total do you have in the tank? +1 for Tony. Please over the pump. It is a matter of time before something bad happens. If it gets dirty, just clean it more ofter.
Old 05-05-11, 20:17
Moray Eel

Hi Marge, good to hear that it not the pump. But what about the sand. Could it have a lot of it after dragging along the sand bottom. I've notice mine doing that chasing food etc and from time to time has sand on it tail. It does look well from the pic to me but knowing it not the same as seeing it in the flesh. Hope it turn out ok.