UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Fish, Inverts & Plants: > Marine / Reef fish

Marine / Reef fish For all questions about fish (except health), including Fish Only and FOWLR systems

Old 25-05-11, 19:53
Triggerfish

Blue Face Angel - with corals???

Guys - could do with some advice please..

this is following on from the recent post about keeping an emperor angel with corals..

im currently keeping a juv emperor with sps and lps in an 800 litre system.

was wondering if anyone has experience of keeping blueface angels in reef systems?

i have recently seen some videos on youtube of stunning sps systems with lps as well housing large emperors and blueface's together with success..

has anyone pushed the bounderies and kept a blueface angel with corals?

thanks
Old 25-05-11, 20:15
Admin Moderator

I have a Blue Face and Majestic, did have some corals but there all gone due to equipment failure a while back.

My experience is that are fine with SPS, hit and miss with Euphillias seem to be touch with some but not others. Bubbles, acans, lobos and symphyllias, gorgonians they seem fine with.

However if a LPS is sulking, you only option is to remove it as the angel will start eating it and won't stop until it's gone. Like bees to a honey pot.

No go areas areas are candy cane, sun corals, zoos, mushrooms. Also you won't have an apitasia or majano in the tank

All angels are hit and miss with corals.

http://www.suttonreef.co.uk Click here for my old SPS tank thread, here for my new tank thread
Old 25-05-11, 20:23
Triggerfish

thanks! anyone else had an experience with them in reefs?
Old 25-05-11, 20:45
Clownfish

Hi, I had a juvenile blue face angel about a year back. had him for about 2 year never touched anything, once he changed to adult coloration he started to nip at a clam I had & had to be moved on. Never touched any sps corals but nipped at zoas.

Rgds Stephen
Old 25-05-11, 20:48
Moray Eel

Much the same as Dave with my majestic, some fleshy LPS it will eat, thought it was at a 3 Michelin star restaurant when it ate my fox coral, then back at burger king when it start eating the zoas, which had been in the tank about a year or so. Some longer polpyed SPS it has also taken a liking to.

I have a hammer and torch which it hasn't touched yet, along with an acan and blasto, although it could just be biding it's time.

Last edited by Matt G; 25-05-11 at 21:29.
Old 25-05-11, 20:51
Triggerfish

thanks for all your replies!
Old 26-05-11, 00:21
Regional Co-ordinator - North West + (joint) Wales + Liverpool Reef Club Leader

I had one in a full mixed reed it was completely fine, one of the most forgiving fish I ever owned although it was very shy at first.

Bottom line is, it completely depends on the individual with this and any other angel large and dwarf. Really needs to be considered on an individual by individual basis rather than species by species. Either look for one from an established reef tank break down or just give one from a shop a go and be prepared to catch it and exchange it for another one if it doesnt work out.

Personally I think you stand more of a chance with these than a number of centropyges. There was a time about a decade ago when these and majestics were fairly run of the mill reef inhabitants with the same trial and error afforded to lemon peels and bicolours.

Well worth a shot

Nick
Old 26-05-11, 11:26
Triggerfish

Cheers nick your advice think I'll give it a go
Old 26-05-11, 11:59
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0u20a2 View Post
I had one in a full mixed reed it was completely fine, one of the most forgiving fish I ever owned although it was very shy at first.

Bottom line is, it completely depends on the individual with this and any other angel large and dwarf. Really needs to be considered on an individual by individual basis rather than species by species. Either look for one from an established reef tank break down or just give one from a shop a go and be prepared to catch it and exchange it for another one if it doesnt work out.

Personally I think you stand more of a chance with these than a number of centropyges. There was a time about a decade ago when these and majestics were fairly run of the mill reef inhabitants with the same trial and error afforded to lemon peels and bicolours.

Well worth a shot

Nick

I seem to be following you around today

They can take a while to develop a taste for things. I have had my majestic coming up for 11 years and it just wakes up some days and decides that it want's to add something else to it's diet.

No way I am getting rid of it, I just accept thats the way it is. But just be aware that one day these fish can be a model citizens and then a few years down the line just change over night.