UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > General Reefing

General Reefing General discussion area for reefing topics

Old 04-08-11, 09:03
Triggerfish

Blue life red cyano rx ... It works

Hi folks. after battling with cyano for over 2 months i decided to go down the chemical route.
The following is taken from another forum but was wrote by me...

2/8/11
my little package has just arrived.so i have syphoned most of the cyano off the sand as instructed and i have knocked the carbon off and removed my cup from the skimmer but kept it running to provide oxygen and also increased flow to the surface of the dt tank.
for my 550 litres it takes 14.5 LEVEL scoops of the magic powder dissoolved into a cup of tank water,mix thorughly and add to the tank. now all ive got to do is wait 24hrs and do a 25% water change and repeat if neccassery.
no livestock has signs of stress and the water is still clear.

ive just re read the instructions and im now confused as to when to perform a water change.
"For best results, siphon out as much Cyano Bacteria as possible from your aquarium. Remove a cup of water from your aquarium. Mix 1 level scoop of Red Cyano Rx in the cup for every 10 gallons (37.9 liters) of water in your aquarium. Dissolve thoroughly and pour solution into the aquarium. After 24 hours, you may turn ON Protein skimmer and ozone, although you may notice extra foam being produced by your Skimmer.

If Cyano Bacteria is still visable, 48 hours after treatment, perform a 25% water change and repeat dosage.

Note: It is recommended that the pH in your aquarium be greater than 8.0, before you begin to add Red Cyano Rx. The best time to start treatment is in the morning, when lighting first comes on. Also, it is important to perform a 25% water change, within 12 hours, following each dose.

You will need to discontinue the use of carbon, protein skimming, and ozone during the treatment period. Do not dose in the evenings when lighting is turned off. Do a 25% water change 5 days after treatment."

so.... i need to do a 25% water change tonight before midnight??(12 hrs) 137 litres needed only got 75 litres ready!!
then if cyano is still there, do another 25% water change 48hrs after first dose and dose again.
then leave 5 days and do another 25% water change

is that how its meant to read??

well no side effects yet and no cyano reappearing except for a 1" square patch. need to do water change tonight so it will have to be 75 litres tonight and 75 litres tomoz.

UPDATE .. 3/8/11
done the 25% water change and have knocked the skimmer and carbon back on. only had a 1cm x 5cm strip of cyano this morning so ive syphoned that out.
no side effects still. it usually takes a few days for my cyano to reappear so only time will tell now.
skimmer hasnt really gone nuts but is producing lots of brown foam on a wet skim.

as of tonight i am 100% totally cyano free

skimmer cup has been emptied twice today and is full of a very thin red/brown water

then next few days will tell me if it has been a huge success or just simply the fact that i already syphoned most of it out anyway, but the sand looks cleaner all over.
Old 04-08-11, 09:22
Great White Shark

My understanding of the instruction regarding water changes is same as yours mate, ( nothing worse than reef products for instructions! Glad your getting your interest back, nothing more depressing than thousands of pounds worth of hard work looking crap!
Old 04-08-11, 12:12
Octopus

Good stuff. A lot of people knock the use of antibiotics such as these, but the fact is as long as you do things right you'd need to be extremely unlucky for anything bad to happen.

Eyore sums it up perfectly:

Quote:
nothing more depressing than thousands of pounds worth of hard work looking crap!

Previous 24" Anemone Cube http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...42#post4649242

My old 1500L 52x40x30 build: http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...17#post2951717
Old 04-08-11, 13:20
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvern Rob View Post
Good stuff. A lot of people knock the use of antibiotics such as these, but the fact is as long as you do things right you'd need to be extremely unlucky for anything bad to happen.

Eyore sums it up perfectly:
definatly mate, and all for 16. maybe not the best solution but if it stays away then its a big bonus and result for me.
my latest pics as of this morning with WHITE sand again.The sand has not been stirred or syphoned since adding the treatment.

Old 04-08-11, 13:30
Great White Shark

hope it stays away !!! as i know what cyno is like i had it realy bad this time last year. but remember PROVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. find the source as to why you got the cyno and address that
Old 04-08-11, 13:33
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer View Post
hope it stays away !!! as i know what cyno is like i had it realy bad this time last year. but remember PROVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. find the source as to why you got the cyno and address that
very true, but when you have tried everything, including....more water changes,new tubes, less light, more flow, different flow,more cuc then i think a time comes to just bite the bullet and try a different and new approach, especially when it is making someone want to quit the hobby
Old 04-08-11, 16:10
Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer View Post
Depends what the cause it. If it's Cyano all over the tank, or just in an area of low flow then there are relatively simple fixes. If you have low nutrients and it's Cyano on the sand only then it's a different ball game because it' not just a small imbalance or flow issue. It's much more difficult to get rid because Cyano will take the phosphate out of the sandbed before anything else.

It gets to the point where you've had enough of trying to sort it, so in my case 3 worth of Erythromycin (which is the active ingredient in most red slime removers) totally removed it within 24hrs and it hasn't come back. It's the only Cyano I haven't been able to shift any other way, and short of removing most of all of the sandbed (not an option with lots of Wrasses) it wasn't going anywhere.

As I said above, always pay attention to instructions and err on the low side of dosing if you're unsure.

Previous 24" Anemone Cube http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...42#post4649242

My old 1500L 52x40x30 build: http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...17#post2951717
Old 07-08-11, 18:30
Great White Shark

Revisiting this thread partly out of curiosity and partly as I am uncertain as to if I cured the problem as it was a temporary set up which I moved to my main display a week ago thus the balance was disturbed- do you think this could be a viable treatment for Dinoflagelates???
Old 01-09-11, 20:46
Cleaner Shrimp

Red Cyano rx

Where did you buy this product from.
Old 02-09-11, 08:59
Triggerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoPT View Post
Where did you buy this product from.
got it off ebay mate. just google it and you will find retailers.