UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > DIY

DIY For your DIY plans, ideas, and related info.

Old 22-01-12, 17:11
Clownfish

Fluval Vicenza DIY Acrylic Hood

Hi all, just putting together what might be a useful thread for someone. I wanted to upgrade the hood on the tank so after a lot of thought I came up with the idea of using acrylic. So here goes...
The plan is (half the Hood) First with LED layout.

Materials used.
Clear Acrylic sheet 1000mm x 1000mm x 5mm thick
DICHLORMETHANE (meths) for welding the pieces together. Potent stuff so be careful…….. or this http://www.maplin.co.uk/plastic-weld-46010 but I have not tried it.
Please read this it may help.
http://www.plasticsmag.com/ta.asp?aid=2841

Procedure.
1. Measure the two ends (front to back) of the tank there is a lip just inside the inner edge of the tank that new lid can sit on, measure up to this. Or if you have the original hood draw around it to get the correct shape. I measured the width then used the first section of the lid (Bow section) as a stencil to get the shape of the bow.
2. Cut the edge pieces I cut them 70mm thick this will be the height that the hood will sit above the tank. 70mm (height) x 880mm Length of tank. Then cut the side pieces 70mm x 305mm.
3. Cut a piece for the front 70mm x 890mm(10mm longer than the back piece) to allow for the bend. I cut this to short (same as the back) 880mm, but decided I would have the hood in two separate hoods so just cut this to fit.
4. Cut out the hood profile . I used a jigsaw to cut the bow, with water to stop the plastic melting if you cut with the protective paper on, I don’t think it will melt then you should end up with these.

5. I then cut the hood in half to make access to the tank easier.
6. Then use the methylene chloride to weld the side and back pieces on to the hood use tape to hold them together at right angles. When using this stuff do it somewhere well ventilated. Also when applying just let it run into the joint leave it 10 minutes to set should be a solid weld.
7. like this one, half done; now I need to do the other half.

8. I bent the front piece by heating it up slightly over the hob on the oven. Then used the tape to hold its shape, and then welded.
9. Hood on the tank, now I just need to spray it black, add mirrored film and LEDs to the underside.
Old 22-01-12, 18:58
Clownfish

interesting, what LEDs are you using and where did you get DICHLORMETHANE (meths) ?
thanks
Old 22-01-12, 19:11
Clownfish

I got the meths from work this time. There is a plastics firm down the road, they supplied me with the meths in the bottle and Acrylic for £25 for my first project, which was a hang on refugium. I plan to use Cree LEDs with some help off you guys on here, because electronics is not my thing but i will have a go.
Old 23-01-12, 21:51
Clownfish

I might try these, they will fit a treat. Built in drivers all ou need is 24v power pack. Has anyone got any or know if their any good?

http://www.ledsupply.com/luxstripII.php
Old 18-02-12, 16:29
Clownfish

Just a bit of an update.
Picture below shows one half with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of fairey liquid and 1 pint of water sprayed on to hood the other is with mirrored film applied. £10.00 for 2m

Both lids with film.

Now i need to find a way of fixing the heatsinks. I plan to have 3 strips on each hood. Not to sure how far apart to have them. The fans are 120mm so i think i will equally spread them out over that distance so the strips will be 50mm apart will this be to much distance. this is the plan
Old 20-02-12, 11:04
Angelfish

Nice thread mate i am looking to do something similar with my Roma
Old 20-02-12, 16:39
Clownfish

Let us know how that glue/weld gets on. I use Tensol 12 but an alternative would be good to know.
Old 20-02-12, 17:02
Clownfish

Hi Stang,
Methylene Chloride is the chemical name. It welds the plastic joints together after just 60sec its fixed. The weld gets stonger as it ages. I welded a refugium together 12 months ago no leaks as yet touch wood, as long as all the joints are clean and level it will well solid. Use some cellotape to position the jonits and let the meths flow along the joint and leave to set.
Old 20-02-12, 18:31
Clownfish

Thanks Makwix,
After looking at your good thread i think i will be approaching you for some advice once i finish this LED/Hood project If thats ok. I like the idea of using timber for cabinet strengthening hows it holding out? My main concern is not having any vertical strength at the front middle of the cabinet. Its scarey to think about all that money spent all over my living room floor I suppose i could put one in its only 2x2 afterall.
Old 21-02-12, 06:24
Angelfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall- ey View Post
Thanks Makwix,
After looking at your good thread i think i will be approaching you for some advice once i finish this LED/Hood project If thats ok. I like the idea of using timber for cabinet strengthening hows it holding out? My main concern is not having any vertical strength at the front middle of the cabinet. Its scarey to think about all that money spent all over my living room floor I suppose i could put one in its only 2x2 afterall.
No worries mate ask away as i'll probably be coming back to you once i start my LED's lol

The cabinet feels really strong, i was initially worried about the lack off centre strut but i think i put enough braces in the frame to compensate.
Also i had my missus watching to see if there was any bowing while i was bouncing up and down on it lol