UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Medium

Medium (Display volume 31-100 gallons / 131-450 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 20-02-12, 20:51
Clownfish

aquareef 300 - jay303

hello all

this is my build log on the aquareef 300,i will be keeping softies, lps and maybe some sps i will try a frag first and see how it goes. i have a rough plan on what fish im keeping but ill keep that secret for now . this will be my first big and sumped tank so im new to this part in the hobby but ive done plenty of research on sumps and i have decided that ill be runing in the 1st chamber filter flos/occasional bag of carbon/standard skimmer (may replace in time if it is rubbish), 2nd chamber heaters, 3rd chamber live rock and cheato with light, 4th chamber media reactor running rowa, and return pump. originally the plan was to buy dry rock and soak it and cure it but i decided to go with live rock mainly because straight from the get go ill have plenty of good biological filtartion and bacterier, and tbh i have had aiptasia/majano in my old tank and if you keep on top of all the pests its not a problem.
tomorrow will be picking up everything exept live rock, today i fitted my ro unit which is 50gpd and god its slow, but its nice that i dont have to drive 15 miles only to tear my arms of on the way out my lfs. also its piece of mind that i know whats going in the tank.

heres some pics of the ro unit and old tank to keep you happy for now

OLD TANK

RO UNIT FOR NEW TANK

job done now for a cup of tea
Old 20-02-12, 20:57
Cleaner Shrimp

Was your old tank a rio 240?
Old 20-02-12, 21:01
Clownfish

it was the rio 125.
Old 20-02-12, 21:07
Cleaner Shrimp

Yeah had a rio 240 for my first tank and i am just setting up an aquareef 300 now as well.
Theres a few reefers on here with them and lots of good tips and advice.
Good luck
Old 21-02-12, 20:47
Clownfish

quick update

so today i bought the tank but only brought half home we could not get the tank in the van so have to go back tomorrow to get it, i did buy pretty much everthing i needed while i was there, also got some good discounts for example lfs said 850 for tank got it for 800 power heads would of costed 140 but got them for 100 i did get discounts on other bits to so very happy with the savings, so good tip if you are planning on getting a marine set up buy it all at once and make them give you a discount

heres some pics

apoligies for pics i have shaky hands

i will post better pics tomorrow when hopefully ill be getting it wet

Last edited by jay303; 21-02-12 at 20:50.
Old 23-02-12, 19:21
Clownfish

update time

wednesday i picked up the tank, got all the plumbing complete and filled the weir to test the joints, i had the weir filled all night and it hasnt leaked so far so good.

today i started filling the tank and god its slow with a 50gpd ro/di filter i did however have two containers on hand so they went in i also had to pop to the lfs to see if the gravel i bought had been delivered so i refiiled my containers there, im about half way now. i also have everything plugged in so thats ready to go.

so far im really impressed with tank the t5's are really bright so i think i will be ok on keeping lps and some hardy sps, ill have to have a high scape on one side so they get more light, but like i said in my first post ill try a frag and take it from there. also when i unpacked the tank there was a big scratch on the front of the weir but no big deal because when its filled with water it shoudnt be to noticble also corraline algea will cover it so im not bothered.

theres still plenty of stuff to do in the front room, waiting on a new sideboard and also have to put the tv on the wall and move the fluval.

heres a few pics

Old 23-02-12, 19:30
Angelfish

Looks good mate welcome to the aqua reef 300 crew cheers Damers.
Whats that device you have added outside of the last chamber of the sump.
Old 23-02-12, 19:36
Angelfish

Dont worry its a media reactor im thinking of adding one of these myself let me know how it goes cheers.
Correct me if im wrong but is it for keeping nitrates down and how much did it cost.
Old 23-02-12, 19:46
Clownfish

cheers damers it cost 59.99 with pump+pipework, im running bio balls in there at the moment which will help with nitrate and phos, with bio balls its more towards the nitrate side but i will see how they go. the media is quite expensive 30 for 500g tub but i got a fiver off .
Old 23-02-12, 21:23
Cleaner Shrimp

Hi jay
You may need to get a couple more tubes in if you want to keep sps and lps
System looks good... Welcome to tha aquareef gang
Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM