UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > General Reefing

General Reefing General discussion area for reefing topics

Old 25-05-12, 19:56
Moray Eel

How does a chiller work?

Before anyone says it........yes I know it chills the water!

But what I want to know is.....

- is the pump feeding the chiller on permanantly?
- do you set the chiller to come on at a certain temp using the display on the chiller itself?
- or does it need to be set up to a controller? eg a TC10

Old 25-05-12, 21:54
Sponsor

Hi

Pump feeds the chiller 24/7 normally, a chiller usually has a built in controller although you can also control from an aquarium computer, you need to site a chiller away from the tank room for best performance as it will kick out hot air due to heat exchange.

regards
Old 25-05-12, 22:35
Moray Eel

the chiller got build in pump or you have to fit one externally?
Old 25-05-12, 22:41
Great White Shark

You have to fit one that has the appropriate flow.
Old 26-05-12, 05:45
Angelfish

Or as I do run it on a gravity feed straight from the display returning to the sump. This way you at least cut down on a small amount of electric to run it. I have a teco TR10, it'll run the temp at 26.5 going 1 degree each way before action is taken (it has the heater option too) I run it in my cabinet with it mounted on a plinth to raise off the cabinet base and then I have cut a section of the cabinet out where the fans kick the warm air out. The chiller will perform better if in a cooler area to begin with which is not always easy.

My 40 x 40 x 20 build - http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...70#post5485570

Acropora wish list -

Loripes - Granulosa - Lokani - Suharsonoi - Multiacuta - Speciosa - Simplex
Old 26-05-12, 06:51
Triggerfish

Mines usually connected to the return pump so as to stop any stalle water being in there and connected to the Tc10

I say usually as at the mo its sat in the garage and im away. Forgot all about it till i saw a thread on here asking what temp tanks are at
Old 26-05-12, 08:07
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D-D View Post
Hi

Pump feeds the chiller 24/7 normally, a chiller usually has a built in controller although you can also control from an aquarium computer, you need to site a chiller away from the tank room for best performance as it will kick out hot air due to heat exchange.

regards
Thanks Tony.

So if you set the chiller to say 26 and leave the pump on all the time, i presume the chiller kicks in when it notices the water temp go above this preset level?

Do the D-D ones have a controller?

Also i have no way of situating it elsewhere, is this a massive problem?
Old 26-05-12, 08:18

I've got an aquamedic titan 1500 that was running on my TOTM tank, keep meaning to advertise it as the tank was shut down in Jan/Feb

Basically you can either pipe it inline with a return or a separate feed pump. You could in theory set the chiller to come on via it's controller say at 24, but then wire the chiller into a separate controller along with a feed pump so the pump only comes on when the chiller is on - this isn't recommended though as the water that remains in the chiller will stagnate (potentially)

If you use the controls on the chiller to controller the temp is basically like a heater, you set the max and when the tank gets there the chiller comes on. The only other difference is that you set a min also so it goes off when the desired temp is reached

As for siting it, it really does need to be away from the tank. It's surprising how much heat will kick out from these units and if you put it in the same room as the tank you will just have a cycle of tank warming up, chiller coming on and warming the room, tank warming up. They aren't that quiet either, although not too bad. I had mine outside, the tank was on an outside wall so I just drilled two holes through (feed and return), piped into my return pump and then built a little shed type thing with ventilation to release the warm air - worked a treat

Last edited by Fisher 2007; 26-05-12 at 08:20.
Old 26-05-12, 09:19
Angelfish

Similar as Fisher really . I had a system 2000 1/2 hp chiller on a previous tank sited in a cupboard next to the tank but this was accessed from another room (hallway) and would vent the hot air away from the tank and out through an upatairs window . Pump to it was running constantly and chiller only kicked in when 26oc was reached . Tank always remained within 25-26oc most times of the year even with 1300w of halide lighting (leccy bill anyone ?) Ideally you would want to site one outside of the house really but be warned they do consume a lot of power . Have you considered an eco cooler or another type of evaporative form of cooling ?
Old 26-05-12, 11:41
Angelfish

Hi, I have mine fed by a tee from my return pump with a valve so I can get the desired amount of flow through the chiller and water flows through it all the time . The chiller is controlled by a ATC800 temp controller because I found if I relied on the TECO 10 's own thermostat it would over chill the water so now I have it set to come on at 26 c and knock off at 25 c . They do kick out a heck of a lot of warm air out of the exhaust.
Hope this is of some help