UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Nano

Nano (Display volume from6.5 to 30 gallons / 130 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 31-08-12, 17:45
Clownfish

Arrow Two New Glass Column Tank Projects

Whilst over in Germany doing shop tours I stayed with a good freind. After looking at a few stores he took me in his garage to show me somthing he though I may be intrested in. He had come by 4 glass cylinders. 2 large and 2 smaller.

Would I like two ? Hell ye. I had flown over so he would bring me a large and small when he drove over later in the year to see me.

Well they have arrived, and I now have two new tank projects.

The larger cylinder will hold 120 litres and the smaller 70. They dont look very nano, but by "literage" they are so in this forum. I have a few crazy ideas for them.

Last edited by BigMrTong; 09-02-13 at 08:36.
Old 31-08-12, 17:48
Killer Whale

Interesting project - look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Do you know what were they used for originally?

John
Old 31-08-12, 17:50

Very cool indeed

Looks like some serious DIY coming along on these

Couple of cylinder threads on here some where, worth a read through to see the challenges.

Looking forward to seeing how these develop
New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourselfHERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.
Old 31-08-12, 17:52
Clownfish

Yes they are from industrial foundry burners

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimreef View Post
Interesting project - look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Do you know what were they used for originally?

John
Old 31-08-12, 17:53
Clownfish

Good plan ill take a look in the search system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeway View Post
Very cool indeed

Looks like some serious DIY coming along on these

Couple of cylinder threads on here some where, worth a read through to see the challenges.

Looking forward to seeing how these develop
Old 31-08-12, 18:10
Clownfish

I supose I called them Column tanks on purpose as this is what they will both kind of be. I have a house full of Reef, fish only and planted tanks so want somthing different from these babies.

Initial talk (Klaus is working on his at the same time) was to slap on a glass bottom and drill the middle for a sump, live rock round around the central area for fish etc to swim around.

I settles on wanting tio make them ornimental for the house. I'm a keen photorapher and like old retro stuff. Idea one was to litrally make one a colum with a greek / Roman feel for the dining room

I took this at Chatworth

.. and this at an Aquarium somewhere ...

Its an underwater statue and looked quite fun
Old 31-08-12, 18:21
Clownfish

For the second tank I was just going to Sump it and replace the "normal" softie tank I have in my office, but again I now have a crazy Idea. I'm also going to colum this one too, and still sump it but make it look a little like another majour aquarium cylinder tank I saw :

I have also wanted to do somthing with these type of pipe orniments.

Lastly I love the Steampunk thing, so tought I would make it into a bronze brass mix of custom pipework in and move my softies and fish in.
Old 31-08-12, 18:26
Clownfish

I looked at roman colum style planters for the base and or top, but they were concreate and too heavy and unworkable, and I came accross these in GRP, which have the classic look I and hoping for.

I have her below already in my conservatory, so ill be borrowing her
Old 31-08-12, 18:33
Clownfish

Even though I was off to a wedding on Monday, I had to nip in the garage to do a quick mock up of my idea for the small tank before I left.

All I can say is it left me with a big smile on my face, and I'm happy. The small tank will be a roman / greek column tank in my dining room.

I have ordered some fibregalls to work on the base and top, with lots of white Gelcost (flowcoat) to finish and colour the statue and top and bottoms in white.

My plan is to only have half a dozen blue damsels swimming in it.
Old 31-08-12, 18:39
Clownfish

Happy with the above, I tracked down these down, for the larger tank.

I'm pretty set on it being full of indutrial pipe work, grown over by my softies and fish swimming in and around them.
Ill work on some expoxy paint effects and make it up all myself.
Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM