UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Supersized

Supersized (Display volume over 200 gallons / 900 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 06-10-12, 19:27
Moray Eel

OMC: 20ft long x 2ft wide x 4ft high And 7ft x 7ft x 4ft Triton

The first bits for "operation man cave" that Charterhouse Aquatics are helping with the installation on (they are just five minutes down the road from me, and
make my life incedibly easy where nothing is ever too much trouble, 10/10 for customer service.

With double reward points on offer this weekend this was just the excuse I was looking for to start it:

1 x
Ecotech Radion Package � Six Units [In Stock]
[Need to return this product?]

2 x
VorTech MP60w ES Propeller Pump

This will be an interim build, eventually leading to the "big one". My current tank is 6ft 550 litres and pretty much fowlr as I have a very greedy imperator. Seeing others have success with keeping angels togeather now, its tempting me to go the same way as I absolutley love'em. However wanting to keep my options open I am going for a reef spec, should I want to go back to that, as I always like to be changing things.

This tank I have had since the early 90's, so no room for sumps and much equipment, therefore thats all been external to the cabinet, with the obvious dis-advantages of the skimmer being right under my nose (I have kinda got used to the smell now), and the unavoidable flooding from the sump and other fun times of other stuff overflowing which is all part of the hobby of course. This has sadly led to my wooden flooring being pretty much destroyed which I also hope to get replaced during the installation.

I have an external former "dog house" outside where I do my water mixing, before running a pipe through my window to do my water changes. Same for taking the water out, just I pump it straight out of the window into a drain.

This is obviously better than moving 100 litres around by hand, but I have now got completely sick and tired of being out there, sometimes at 3-4 am due to some drama or another, especially when its cold. In fact last year when there was snow on the ground and all the pipes froze I had to put fan heaters in there to thaw everything out, which was a right barrel of laughs. So this will be converted into a proper fish room.

Back to the tank, the thing stopping me going any longer at the moment is a fireplace which needs to be smashed down, which should give me a length of around 14ft. Width I am not sure about at the moment as I have a 3 meter projector screen at the bottom of the room which is 26ft, and if the aquarium is too wide it could interfere with my viewing angle. Btw, as the title says, this room is just for me, hence "man cave". Charterhouse said I would need around 7 radions for 14ft, but they only have them in packages of six, so I will just wait and see if I need the 7th. The main reason I want length is for Naso tang which I have had for the last 8 years, and is around 30cm so my current tank is way to small for him. So this tank is really for him and my imperator, and i guess if I am honest the radions are for me, as really have you ever seen anything cooler than them recently? Also, I am not sure why, but my projector keeps on overheating now after about an hours use with the halides on, and thats with the window open, its a real pain to have to keep letting it cool down and then reseting it. All the fans are running fine on it and are nearly dust free. The only thing I can think of is matbe the halides get hotter as they get older as it never used to happen..

I know enough to get by on, and already have various skimmers, mce600, apf 600, 2560 with cleaning head and other various deltec reactors (I matured a 509 nitrate reactor, so I also have patience). So other than the new lighting and vortech powerheads, I hope to get some advice on what else I could get based on a berlin system. I currently have about 80 killos of living rock, and another 80 of former living rock now dead. My first question is, can that be re-seeded. Some people seem to say it can be, which would make sense as its just a foundation for the bacteria to breed on, others say it will never be truly living rock again. I can also see that point to a certain degree.

Anyway, enough with the jibba JABBA lets get onto the pics. I was going to have a tidy up first, but then thought it might be nice to see it at its worse, then when its hopefully all finished, it will be nice to see how the transformation took place.

I already have started stripping my tank, putting the live rock into vats with airstones and a skimmer running on them. The fish and corals I have started to move into quarantine tanks. NOTE: these quarantine tanks I am convertig to marine spec, so after the fish are moved back to the new tank they will be features throughout the rest of the house..

Once I have my current display tank empty, I am thinking of keeping that as a quarantine tank for my large specimens, for example my Naso, as I once had him in a 180, and he just stayed in the corner all week stressing him more, so he sure doesnt like smaller tanks.

550 Litre tank I got in about 1995, and here when I just moved to my current home in January 2004.

The to be fish room:

Time to get the strimmer, chainsaw and flamethrower out:

My RCD power breaker must be broken as it keeps turning the power off. Luckily this was easily fixed by replacing it and the 13 amp fuse with a 6 inch nail.

Dont try this at home and not for the feint hearted either!

Then through the window:

My ruined wood flooring:

Fireplace to be smashed down..

Koi pond to be developed

I wanted to start knocking it down today, but couldnt find a bigger hammer:

One imperator in 180 litre quarantine tank:

The former kitchen, that will eventually become my fish support and research room (its right next to the man cave, which is handy)

Juwel 120 litre with bodged T5's, while waiting for my marine spec ones to arrive. Out growing that tank fast though.

I think they sold me the wrong skimmer for this. Its not big enough

The last project I did was make my garage bigger to fit my cars in:

I hope this one turns out as well

Last edited by Imperator the 3rd; 19-10-12 at 01:15. Reason: forgot to put something..
Old 06-10-12, 20:02
Angelfish

Nice cars
Old 06-10-12, 20:18
Moray Eel

I dont usually post on forums anymore because of all the trolls, or at least ones that I dont own, but you seem like a really friendly genuine lot on here, and to be honest I got the answer on how to crack low PH from some really clever person that sure knows his stuff, which saved my coral. So even though that post took me over 2 hours to make, I thought it was the least I could do by trying to give something back.

All the other nut cases on here are my inspiration with their huge systems and seem to stop at nothing to get what they want and makes me feel a bit more "normal", whatever that is.. so it was like, well, why not?

Imperator 2

and feeding:

you probably can tell, I am rather fond of that fish.. :-)

Last edited by Imperator the 3rd; 07-10-12 at 04:23.
Old 06-10-12, 20:43
Triggerfish

Looking forward to the development of this

That's a nice garage too!
Old 06-10-12, 20:48
Angelfish

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything else just genuinly nice cars sorry if you took it the wrong way
Old 06-10-12, 21:16
Clownfish

Subscribed

A video of my 6x2x2 reef build with closed loop
http://www.youtube.com/user/rickydav.../7/DfeHNychDrc
Old 06-10-12, 21:21
Moray Eel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic or anything else just genuinly nice cars sorry if you took it the wrong way
haha, quite the opposite, I was pleased when someone replied, as it took me over two hours to make that post, and I thought people would be screaming at me for not posting more details.

To be honest, I dont know much more regarding the planing of it, just what I want kinda thing. I have a seneye monitor at the moment but to be honest its more of a novelty item than anything, so am looking for a decent all in controller. Then I was thinking that the vortechs have their own wireless controllers, so might be doubleing up??

Hopefully the Charterhouse guys will be coming in the week, so we can start getting some plans in place and action under way.

I just hope it can all be done in time for Christmas for me..

oh, and seeing as their maybe some car nuts as well..

Last edited by Imperator the 3rd; 07-10-12 at 23:49.
Old 06-10-12, 22:30
Moray Eel

My naso tang that its mostly being done for. Hard to get a good picture as he swims so much..

I cant wait to see him exploring his new home.. I have been through some tough times with that fish and he seems almost invincible to anything now

Last edited by Imperator the 3rd; 08-10-12 at 02:47.
Old 06-10-12, 23:00
Clownfish

Subscribed
Old 07-10-12, 04:56
Clownfish

this i hope is going to become a fantastic thread!!! i have been speakingh charterhouse lately and have been very impressed with them, i emailed them at 3am and got a reply within ten minutes.....

nice car nice tank and nice koi....
Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM