UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Member's Tanks: > Medium

Medium (Display volume 31-100 gallons / 131-450 l) Add your tank details and pics here.

Reply Click here to Vote for this tank as TOTM

Old 07-10-12, 11:30
Triggerfish

Talking Lateral thinking - Jomega's First Marine tank

LATEST FTS - WORK IN PROGRESS - 07/05/2013

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

]Disclaimer – I apologise if i waffle, but its my first tank thread so the excitement quota is up on this side]

Hey there guys.... So after lurking on UR for about a year now, and annoying countless people with a dozens of questions threads, I finally decided that its time to start a tank thread. Most of this was dependent on me selling off all of my old kit, some of which were these little piggies.

Last edited by Jomega; 07-05-13 at 18:55. Reason: Included latest FTS
Old 07-10-12, 11:32
Triggerfish

Sketches

So with the discus sold, and my old Fluval Roma 200 off to Essex somewhere i took the leap, and called up a non-sponsor tank builder near Newcastle (I think) that seems to have good reviews, and pops up pretty near to the top in google. Their price was reasonable, they could offer what i wanted, and feedback seemed good.

After seeing some great tanks, and having been torn on size, i finally decided on a 24’’ cube. However, i wanted it bracless, as i really like the clean look, and i also wanted an X-Aqua. Then one night just before falling asleep, i had an epiphany

< a Vortech Mp10 will not fit onto 12mm glass>

As a result i asked around a bit, and it did become clear that I might have issues with an MP10 on 12mm glass, which a 24’’ tank would need to be constructed of if rimless..

SO....with my mind firmly set on having Vortech’s and a smaller tank, i decided on the shallower option. Rimless 18’’ tanks appealed in threads i had seen, and definitely had something different about them. So i made my mind up:

Tank dimensions 36x24x18 high

Rimless

X-Aqua weir, set into the centre panel

Sump and cabinet

{Didnt want gloss, as SWMBO wanted wenge to match the furniture...LOL}

My tank is around three to four weeks away from being finished. I have been considering what i want from this tank, and my plan is to attempt to get my water right, with a light bio load of fish i really love, and then look at what is realistic in terms of corals. My heart is set on keeping a variety of plating montipora Caps, and those only, as i have seen some incredible Japanese tanks that have created an interesting island scape with plating acropora. But i love the way Plating monti’s seem to curl around and twist as they grow, and i feel as they mature it could make for an interesting look. Obviously i understand that keeping SPS is not easy, and I am setting myself up for the deep end, but i guess i will cross that bridge when I get there. I want to try and curb nitrates and phosphate right from the get go, and intend to use Rowa and BioNitratex from day one.

Anyway, I have waffled on. As soon as I have any more pics, i will post them. Any comments, suggestions etc welcome.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on UR who has helped me with question, or a comment or anything really. You guys are the sh*t. Friendly, awesome fish people
Old 11-10-12, 15:27
Clownfish

glad to see you're about to get up and running, hopefully you're not set up before me though! lol

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=584499
Old 11-10-12, 15:28
Clownfish

what lighting are you going for?

Old 11-10-12, 15:47
Help Team

Looks nice!

The discus set-up looked pretty good too!

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what is wenge?

Chris

New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourself HERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.

Old 11-10-12, 16:34
Moray Eel

Interesting, i will look forward to your progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS D View Post

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what is wenge?
A type of tropical hardwood... i think
Old 11-10-12, 16:39
Help Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10b0b View Post

A type of tropical hardwood... i think
Thanks Bob, there was me thinking it was a moaning, myopic French football manager!

Chris

New to the site, new to reefkeeping or have a problem you can't get an answer to? Any Member can use the services of the Help Team you don't have to be new. The Help Team is a hand selected group of experienced volunteers all ready and willing to help out with all problems, be that reef or site related. No question goes unanswered, welcome to UltimateReef. Introduce yourself HERE, a warm welcome awaits. Ask for help and advice HERE.Want to read some great beginners articles? try HERE. To make use of our free private mentoring service, Help Team Confidential just post HERE.

Old 12-10-12, 12:03
Triggerfish

LOL...
Wenge is basically a dark wood colour....

thanks for comments guys,,,

Um I want to go for the Maxspect Razor 160w LED unit Stegg. Hoever the catch is that because this whole marine bussiness hits the wallet quite hard, i need to wait for my birthday in Feb so that SWMBO can make good on the fact i bought her an Ipad for her birthday. So i can hopefull be cycled and running with maybe a pair of clowns and then get the Razor in Feb. I have gotten myself a small little cheap Led unit for Nano's from Hong Kong (bay of Flea) until then, just to be able to see whats going on in the tank. Wont add corals until i get the proper lighting though. i will post pics as soon as the tank arrives of all the stuff i have purchased so far.

My wish list as far as kit is concerned is as Follows:
Tank described above.
Sicce Syncra 3 for a return to be connected to the x-aqua.
! x Vortech Mp10 (another Mp10 to follow when i add corals)
Bubble Magus Nac 6.5 or 7 protein skimmer (we will see what i find at what price point)
Phosban / Deltec/ Two litle Fishies Phosphate reactor (havnt decided which brand)
Eheim compact 300 to run the Phosphate Reactor
Aqua medic titantium heater to be controlled by STC300
Will be running Rowa Phos and JBL Bio nitrex from the Start
between 13 and 15 kilos of Aquaroche ceramic, seeded with one or two kilos of LR
Havnt decided on whether i wil be running macro algae in the sump (lit). The sump compartment size, and efficacy of the Bio nitrex will detemrine this i think.
maxspect Razor 160 watt 16000k LED unit.
TMC auto top up
Will consider Balling and independent dosers when i hit coral stage, and can determine my needs.

I am also planning on having an electric cabinet that stands next ot the tank. I just finished painting it last night, and will post some pics tomorow. I want to keep all electrics out of the stand, and avoid clutter if i can. The ATO tank will also sit in this cab.

Think thats about everything...
Please let me know if there is some glaring hole i have missed
Old 12-10-12, 13:18
Clownfish

I read a great article in marine habitat last night in regards to macro algae and I am sold on the stuff, will be running my sump with just a skimmer and a **** load of caelpora or however it is spelt.

Old 12-10-12, 13:30
Triggerfish

hey Steg...i google Caelpora algae...couldnt find it...i dont know if you meant Chaedomorpha algae....? but yeah if i was gona run macros i would go with that , as it less likely to go asexual and begin bredding in themain display *or at least that is what they say)

What also interesting is that if you only keep it lit at night, when your tank lights are off, it ios supposed to keep your Ph more stable, as it increased oxygen in the water column at night.....

i just dont know if it would be worth running macro algae if im aiming to have very low phosphates and nitrates by using rowa and bio nitrex...idk...i suppose it couldnt hurt...guess i will see what my params look like....

Tags
build thread