UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Community > Help and Advice

Help and Advice New to Marines? Ask all your questions for a friendly response

Old 25-02-13, 22:16
Clownfish

Best, most quiet wavemakers

Hi all, I bought two 10 basic 2500 l/h wavemakers from ebay (hong kong) they have both gone really loud vibration sound that is unbearable I think maybe the bearing has gone already not sure. Anyway they are obviously cheap and break easily so am looking to spend it bit more and get two decent 2000-3000 l/h ones. Which are the best value and quietest brand/model ones to get, design unimportant really. Also if anyone is selling any give me a shout.

Cheers
Old 25-02-13, 23:14
Angelfish

i have this for sale

mystery wrasse pair, orangehead wrasse, lubbocks wrasse, peacock wrasse, exquisite wrasse, filamented flasher wrasse, royal gramma, yellow tang, copper band, 2 yellow head jawfish, midas blennie, red spotted blennie, algea blennie, mandarin fish
Old 25-02-13, 23:20
Clownfish

How does that work? Looks scary
Old 25-02-13, 23:26
Angelfish

plug your powerheads in and it does what ever you set it to do, i just keep my power heads on all the time now untill i find a decent set of tunze with multi controler close to me
mystery wrasse pair, orangehead wrasse, lubbocks wrasse, peacock wrasse, exquisite wrasse, filamented flasher wrasse, royal gramma, yellow tang, copper band, 2 yellow head jawfish, midas blennie, red spotted blennie, algea blennie, mandarin fish
Old 26-02-13, 00:03
Cleaner Shrimp

Best, most quiet wavemakers

Hi mate get hydor korallia cheap but very Reliable and not noisy
Old 26-02-13, 00:28
Clownfish

Aw ok I am looking for the powerheads not a control unit but cheers. What litre power is your hydor korallia powerhead ian?
Old 26-02-13, 09:03
Angelfish

Best: Vortech
Most Quiet: Tunze
Best, most quiet: Tunze
Old 26-02-13, 10:32
Octopus

For extra quite,secure,small,ultra low wattage and really good flow pump's,have a look at Newave's,really good
Julie.
Old 26-02-13, 11:46
Angelfish

In your OP you did specify your after a wave maker but then later said your just after power heads..
If your after a true wavemaker setup then you will need a controller of some sort and power heads that can be throttled, its not as simple as getting a device that can turn your power heads on and off in a sequence. (practically speaking it is ofc)

If you do that with pumps that aren't designed for it not only will you hear them clunking on and off but you will affect its operating life.
For example the tunze 6045 and and 6055 turn over similar amounts of water but the 6055 works on varying voltage so the actual speed the impeller turns can be controlled, (via a controller) they will also have built in safety mechanisms to protect fish that may rest in the pump that do 1 revolution before the impeller spins up, this will prevent diced fish syndrome or if it senses something is lodged in the assembly it wont spin up that will protect against walking nems!
They will also be designed under the consideration its going to be constantly On and Off - hence the titanium shaft on the latest models will give you an almost immortal shaft! Meaning no need to buy new ones later down the line.

So in brief...ideally you will want to get pumps specifically designed for wavemaking....

Last edited by Mimas; 26-02-13 at 13:27.
Old 26-02-13, 12:16
Angelfish

I have been using hydor koralia's for years, excellent product really good value for money. good power, low consumption, not silent but not loud either, just a gentle humming sound. Have just upgrades to magnum 8's, and will probably save up for tunzes in the future. regards.