UltimateReef.com

Go Back   UltimateReef.com > Main Discussion Forums > Corals: > Soft corals

Soft corals All discussions relating to photosynthetic soft corals, gorgonians, mushrooms etc

Old 09-11-13, 23:21
Clownfish

My first attempts at fragging GSP.....for fun :)

I have 3 different types of GSP in my tank and decided to frag them on to small aragonite frag rocks. Mainly for some fun but I am also curious to see how fast they grow. it seems most people say they spread like a weed so this will be interesting to see what the actual rate of growth is. I bought some fragging equipment and took a small cutting carefully lifting the polyp mat with a scalpel.

I then attached the polyps to the aragonite frag rocks with some Cyanoacrylate superglue. The polyps range from 10-15 per frag so not a massive number heres what they look like once glued.

Everythings gone back in fine and I will update this thread as soon as some noticable growth starts

Heres what the mother colonies look like before fragging. As you can see they are quite different in looks but I think all are GSP please let me know if they are something completley different as I will then know what ive fragged lol

for reading
Old 10-11-13, 15:58
Octopus

Maybe i'll try some GSP again in my tank although it seems to really struggle to grow and I don't want to waste money like I have on xenia which wont grow either.
The appearance of GSP depends on flow and lighting.All your pics are the same coral. Notice you're from WSM.Any nice zoa frags in that little shop at the back of the town as I bought some nice ones from there in the past.
Old 10-11-13, 16:00
Triggerfish

Good job
First pic looks like Jasmine polyps though.
Old 10-11-13, 20:34
Clownfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
Maybe i'll try some GSP again in my tank although it seems to really struggle to grow and I don't want to waste money like I have on xenia which wont grow either.
The appearance of GSP depends on flow and lighting.All your pics are the same coral. Notice you're from WSM.Any nice zoa frags in that little shop at the back of the town as I bought some nice ones from there in the past.
Cheers for the comments, Is that the small shop in the town center or the shop just out of town in worle? GSP is a nice addition so go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris8 View Post
Good job
First pic looks like Jasmine polyps though.
Thanks Ahhhh so thats what they are. Cool well ive managed to frag some Jasmine polyps aswell then lol.

All frags came out this morning so its looking like a success.....so far, allbeit they are easy to frag. Ill update some pics soon as im really interested in the growth rate. Ive kept them in a low flow area to heal up then will get them into more flow in a few weeks
Old 11-11-13, 11:10
Angelfish

A couple of things to note when fragging GSP. Don't leave them unattached too long, i.e. a few days, they don't like it. One day max IMO. Use the glue very sparingly, as the mat is thin and you'll damage the polyps. Put small sections of polyps all over rather than one big one... it'll only take a week for them to settle, then they look more natural. Try keeping the rock in the tank for a while before attaching the polyps... again ages the rock and makes it look better (just make sure you dry off the LR where you are going to glue the coral on). I've fragged loads and sold them on to local reefers.
Old 11-11-13, 11:37
Great White Shark

Looking good.

BTW - There are several varieties of GSP out there and their form is not a manifestation of different lighting conditions. I have several that have been in my tank for many months and, living alongside one another, they all look very different.